• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tapered Singh Grooves

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Anyone try them?
Hearing positive results. Tapered 5/16" cuts into the sq. area on the pistons. Better bottom end and added HP.
This was Dyno tested on a race ready Fan Cooled 440. I trust the results, it's a buddy.
May have to try it. I'll have to head cut them.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
You've likely done much of the research on the web, but I thought they once pointed to having the most potential on piston ported two strokes. FWIW, may want to check US patent office (PTO) for more details if you haven't, since the kooky eco-nazi indian inventor had a US patent number. By no means am I knocking the concept and application - a mill and dyno time would be hugely revealing. Good luck, thanks for sharing!

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
You've likely done much of the research on the web, but I thought they once pointed to having the most potential on piston ported two strokes. FWIW, may want to check US patent office (PTO) for more details if you haven't, since the kooky eco-nazi indian inventor had a US patent number. By no means am I knocking the concept and application - a mill and dyno time would be hugely revealing. Good luck, thanks for sharing!

Yes, I did research this process and patent after my buddy informed me of his findings.
My issue with the Singh groove piston mod, did the new pistons and rings create the dyno'd performance gain he witnessed? Along with the bottom end clean up? That's why I thought I would post it here to see if anyone else gave it a whirl.
I have also been researching intake tract and piston dimpling. There are more positive reports on this mod from NASCAR, BMW, NISSAN, and many more. One Sanction body had a car that was slow all year, final race of the of the season it was a screamer. They confiscated the car. Upon engine inspection they found a dimpled intake manifold. These were 650 hp NA engines. Upon Dyno testing the manifold against a non dimpled, on the same engine, on two runs the dimpled made 22hp and 24hp more. That is a huge improvement.
Here is a sample of what I am referring to. This is a very intricate design compared to many I have researched.

image.jpg

Last edited:

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
This is fascinating stuff! Please keep us informed of what you find

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The more I research the dimpling. I wonder what impact it would have to airflow when implemented to the internals of charge tubes?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The more I research the dimpling. I wonder what impact it would have to airflow when implemented to the internals of charge tubes?

Hmmm
Embossed aluminum sheet could be rolled and welded.......

I might have to toss a spare head on the mill and play with it too.....

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD

You were reading my mind. Only thing is what affect would the pressure have. It's not just a flow.

Also how does affect air that is carrying fuel vs before that point.

I was thinking air box and the injector adapters.

Last edited:

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
No sure you would get a desired effect by dimpling the intake of a sled. Could create a bog, since dimpling only really works in high air flow situations, like a fast spinning golf ball or an engine running wide open. At low flow, you'd just get a lot of drag. Worth testing, though:)

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Dimples do grab air Dimples release air as well and create turbulence...
There is turbulent flow and pressure separation in an induction system, what about boundary layer ( laminar or turbulent )....

I would think the intake and ports are so short and have few turns in a naturally aspirated sled....would you see any measurable effect? ? ?
But..a longer charge tube...dimples on short radius side ? Hmmmm Or all sides as above?

Premium Features