• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sand Conversion

S
Mar 29, 2016
Auburn CA.
Okay so I had this idea a while ago and some one went and did it. and its exactly what it sounds. Pretty sure a few of you guys have at least heard of this if not seen it. I know how I'm going to deal with most of the issues BUT my biggest issue is cooling. Now every snow-sand conversion I've seen has a huge radiator on the tunnel. But on my 2015 the tunnel is welded shut, coolant lines and all. so biggest question is how would you guys get coolant. thought about new external lines maybe under the seat? Also I am boosted at 5LBs. do you think this could cause a large heat issue? I know I need to worry about airflow and filtration for the motor/turbo but I'm more worried about cooling at the moment.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Use an sks heat exchanger to carry the coolant back, put some bungs on the back of exchanger and run hoses from rear of sled to top cooler?

Sounds like a blast!
Post pictures or gopro vid. I would love to see it!

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I can see how it would be fun, but why not buy an older POS sled to destroy instead of your boosted '15? Surely operating a sled in the sand is going to cause havoc to nearly every working part.....

S
Mar 29, 2016
Auburn CA.
the idea was for the 15 to be a back up and summer toy. and maybe a used 16 or a new 17 for a winter sled if it came to it. but I plan for it be a year round sled. but not ridding it every weekend like I would during the winter as much of a toy to go ride with the guys at sand mountain or organ every few months.

back to the other guy. as far as I know, if I get what I think your saying. I would need a lot larger surface area to pass air threw to keep it cool enough. I believe your saying to add another exchanger to adapt another coolant line to an additional radiator on the tunnel? if so where would you run the lines? down the tunnel? (track clearance) side of the tunnel ( wear and tear from boots and legs?) or maybe top of the tunnel under the seat and over or under the gas tank?

Premium Features