• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hairline cracks

R
Nov 27, 2007
I have a '14 pro 800 163, I just noticed a hairline crack by the bolts where the a-arms bolt to the cast aluminum on each side. Has anyone experienced this? Is it covered under warranty?

Thanks

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
You mean to say the bulkhead has cracks? Hard to imagine it cracked without damaged a arms

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Good dealer will help a lot. Could be a casting weakness, either pour or mold itself.

FWIW, I've taken out lower a-arms, both sides, on multiple pro RMKs, and have never seen a crack in the upper casting. Never trashed an upper. Bulkhead is much tougher than the Rev and XP doos I've had. Good luck.

Montgom345

Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2008
Yo man, i had basically the same thing. just in a little different location. Dealer told me they wouldn't worry to much about it and to have a weld shop throw a bead on there. Did that last fall and it held up fine all winter. I say throw a bead on it. Just me .02cents

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I think welding it would do more harm than good. Should be fine, run it. Just make sure your insurance policy is paid for...

A plate with lords and rivets would be stronger........

I've welded a bunch of cast aluminum with varying sucess....

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
A plate with lords and rivets would be stronger........

I've welded a bunch of cast aluminum with varying sucess....

I've had numerous cracks welded on cast aluminum parts of the Pro chassis and they never rebroke in the same spot. I'd weld it up.

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
Some of the Polaris castings Weld absolutely terrible. We have been welding some CFI engine cases lately and they are horrible. But the cylinder welds amazingly clean since it's cast by a different company. Haven't played with the bulkhead sides too much, if they are cast by the same company that does the case I'd just replace the bulkhead side. They are relatively inexpensive and easily replaced.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

R
Nov 27, 2007
Had my dealer look at it, he thought that it might just be casting marks. Since I have warranty till Dec. of 2017 he said mark the outside edges and see if it gets bigger after next season to know for sure. So I guess I will wait and see. Thanks for all the input.

Premium Features