• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cracked M8 Gas Tank- Warrenteed?????

A
Mar 25, 2009
I have a 09 M8 that got a crack around the bottom of the gas cap. I have seen where several people have got new tanks on other years and models after reporting it to AC or whoever due to the same problem. I have asked several AC dealers and have looked online but don't see or hear anything regarding this problem on this model or getting a gas tank replacement for free or reduced cost. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of any remedies without spending a bunch on a new tank that obviously has manufacturing problems and should not be a cost to me since it is a safety issue and manufacturing or design problem. Any thoughts appreciated.

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
If it wasn't taken care of in the first few years they do not have to take care of it even if it is a recall or safety issue. I have a tank for $50 plus the ride if your interested. In SD and headed to Tog next weekend

B
Dec 5, 2012
I actuall just got them replaced on my 08 M1000 and 08 M8. The dealer needed pictures of the cracks, mileage and vin numbers. Arctic cat approved free replacement, but they wouldnt cover labor. I just picked them up and did it myself. Was an easy replacement.

M
Feb 28, 2011
MT Lassen
2011 M8 here, cracked last week, and I've always been very easy on the cap knowing it was a weak design.

I sealed mine up by wrapping the crack with Teflon tape, then covering the tape with black RVT silicone from the local Napa auto parts. I've gotten two rides in this weekend and it's holding so far. If it doesn't hold all winter I'm going to try JB Weld next.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Nothing a little teflon pipe tape and RVT won't fix...and if that doesn't do it, goober up a little JB Weld and slap 'er on that fuel cell containing High Octane Fuel.

Seriously though, don't do that. Fix it the right way and get yourself a new tank. Would be a bummer to have the sled roll and douche you in gas. I know a guy you got in a boat wreck and got wedged in the seat. He "Jerry Rigged" his fuel cap on his tank and it ended up dumping all over him. Couldn't do **** about it while the gas soaked through his clothes and ate away at his skin. He was F'd up for awhile.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
I have a broken tank filler cap spout as well. Cracked on the pto side and is cracked 3-4 inches around. I hope my dealer is gonna warranty it. He says there is a beefier tank on the 10-11 m8s that is better and thicker in the spot it cracked., but the 2 we ordered to replace this one were thin, black inside and same exact tank as the 09 m1000.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Tank

This happened to my friends 08 M1000 this winter. Just sitting at the top resting and his bibs were getting soaked with gas from the crack around the top of the tank. Super dangerous man, they need to recall these tanks. I got 2 09's but nothing is cracking yet.

C
Feb 28, 2011
Dealers..

If your dealers won't take care of your cracked gas neck, find a different dealer.. I work at one and have replaced many tanks under warranty. My Crossfire is getting a new one this fall, along with our F series sleds.

Premium Features