• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for some input/opinions on Avi Vests

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
I've owned a Wari, they are built really well but are heavy. Found it hot in the spring when temperatures are up there.

I tried on a Snowpulse at the Snow show, they are one size fits all and it was too big for me I'm 170#, fit like a large garbage bag with cinch straps.

Tried on the new BCA Mtn Pro and it is very comfortable, incorporates the the vest technology, kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

I have a Mammut Alyeska Avalanche Protection Airbag Vest on order, bought it off Ebay for a substantial discount. Don't know how it will fit, it is a minimalist vest, only 4 liter. I don't pack a lot on my back, want it to be comfortable so I wear it often.

Wari is the cheapest although they went out of business last year.
The others with canisters are all getting up into the $1k range

All operate on compressed air which I prefer for filling reasons, $10 or less at your local scuba shop. I think the Snowpulse may be BI and can use ABS nitrogen canisters too.

Suggest you try them on, if you can, before purchasing. To me being comfortable in it is a big deal. They will all do what they are designed to do in a slide if you can get them deployed.

I'll update this with Mammut info when I get it, hopefully within a week or so.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, I've owned several different AVI bags.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Received the Mammut, it is very light compared to the Wari I had, easily half. Built for small to medium build person. I would say that if you are over 180# it would be a tight fit. Does not hold much outside of the shovel and probe and a few safety items, this works for me I carry a lot on my sled and only the safety essentials in the pack.

H

Hutch25

Dec 23, 2008
Big Hole Valley, MT
I think I'm leaning towards the BCA vest, but will definitely try on before buying, i like the Mammut vest also but i am about 190lbs so it could be a bit tight, i also wear a Atlas neck brace so it will have to fit well with that too. Likewise I only carry minimal essentials in the pack, shovel, probe and BCA link which is why I'm leanning towards a vest, plus sung fit for jumps and drops. Thanks for the Advice wfieldin, helped a lot.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I have the Wary vest, and love it ! I have had ABS, and BCA packs in the past. I had no issues with them, I just decided to try a vest going off of a couple friends that had them. I like the Wary so well I went and bought another one this fall while I could still get them, so I will have one for several years (call me crazy) :) I have had the BCA new vest on and Did not like the feel of it, but who am I kidding its all about what you like as an person none of us are the same. I don't know what the snowpulse feels like compared to the Wary or the BCA, but one thing for sure is Ill be wearing my Avi vest for some time. Until the market produces something better. I will not go back to a back pack, with the Wary I don't notice anything on my back. It is very true about the temp. you stay warmer for sure, but I have yet to see this be a draw back for winter time hehehehe.. I dress a little different now of course. I truly enjoy my pack now, when before I did not. Good luck.

Premium Features