• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park - Ice Fishing

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Looking to do a bit of ice fishing after riding. Late afternoon evening fishing.

How is the Island Park resovoir?

In years past I have seen people on the lake (Right at the Lakeside near Bills Island) ice fishing.

What is biting in the winter?

Is it worth it to bring my gear?

E
Nov 26, 2007
I.F.
I.P. reservoir can be very good fishing! But like any ice fishing it can be hit or miss.. I'd take yer poles..:D.. Too bad there isn't a way to ride over to Clark,,, Now there's some ice fishing!

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
WE are staying in a cabin between Lakeside and Shotgun, so we want to be able to pull the sled down to the water and drill some holes. It will not be a serious all night event. Drill some holes, drink some cocktails, drag on a few cigars, you know the drill.....

Heck, if fishing was slow, we might set some tip ups with the LED's and run into the Lakeside bar and watch with binoculars! A guy gets real thirsty up there in them mountains with the dry air and all........

I hear there are rainbow in there.........

I got to find out how to set up my gear to fish these things. I am used to pan fish and walleyes in the winter, this will be a new species......

I wonder how deep the lake is around Lakeside?

E
Nov 26, 2007
I.F.
WE are staying in a cabin between Lakeside and Shotgun, so we want to be able to pull the sled down to the water and drill some holes. It will not be a serious all night event. Drill some holes, drink some cocktails, drag on a few cigars, you know the drill.....

Heck, if fishing was slow, we might set some tip ups with the LED's and run into the Lakeside bar and watch with binoculars! A guy gets real thirsty up there in them mountains with the dry air and all........

I hear there are rainbow in there.........

I got to find out how to set up my gear to fish these things. I am used to pan fish and walleyes in the winter, this will be a new species......

I wonder how deep the lake is around Lakeside?
.. Watching with binocs might not be a good idea. I believe the fish cops can cite you for an "unattended pole" if you are a certain distance away. But Keene, the fish cop, is a pretty damn good guy.
& for gear?? Ask 100 people what's best & you'll get 101 replies.. I like using the smaller Swedish pimples, & ice flies. But you WILL want meal worms!:cool:. Just my .02 worth bud.:D

M
Oct 15, 2001
Forest Lake, MN
Yea Jeff check the laws. You don't want to be like me and have to send a check in because you didn't read the laws.

I got a ticket because I didn't read the regs on Trout fishing for the trout opener 2 weeks ago. $122 down the drain.

BTW hows our hotspot been?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
DEad minnows? Well if that is what it takes, I guess I can ring their necks first! :D

Angler:

Give me some hints on how to fish these things. I have read that the fish run just under the ice? Start at 10-15' and go down from there? How do you fish these things?

I have searched long and hard for a bathymetric lake map of Island Park Reservoir, and cannot find one anywhere. How deep is it out in front of Lakeside Lodge?

I need to rejet my ice auger for 6,000 feet. Anyone have specs on jetting and clutch weights? :D

Mach:

I was out two weekends ago, and it was pretty slow, only had 25 keeper crappies all night! I was in about 14' of water.......

E
Nov 26, 2007
I.F.
..I've never ice fished I.P. res. Jeff. So I don't know the depth at all.. & I don't know the names of any tackle shops in IP but you might get info from places in West. I would recommend Jacklin's fly shop, or Bud lillies. I don't have #'s but I know you can "anywho.com" them. Bob Jacklin is a world famous fly fisherman, but is a very firm believer that "It don't matter how you catch 'em, just go fishin'!!" they both have wb sites also. & Brandon,at sportsman's warehouse in Idaho Falls can give you great info too. You might think about buying a couple of rapala jigs instead of minners.. If I remember correctly, you can use up to 5 rods, or tip-ups in ID. Try settin' at different depths..
.. & the auger jetting?? Most of us are runnin' modified "hacs". & the serious icers have rolled drive cases to drill through thicker ice.:D

A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
Always had good luck with can of corn with a little beer stirred in also Berkley power bait cant be beat when days are slow
200-370-04.jpg

good luck and don't forget pic of fish :D

E
Nov 26, 2007
I.F.
Eastcape:

Take a look at this link:

http://www.swedishpimple.com/HTML/swedishpimple/ice/index.html

What colors would you recommend and what hook size?

6 pound test?

..Prizm kelly or prizm lavender... & the prism ice.. No larger than 1 1/2" long......BUT, that's just my choices.. as with 6lb or 8 lb test.. I'll gaurentee you though that someone's gonna read this & suggest otherwise.. The pimples have enough weight that I don't think you need to go any larger.. Maybe even a bit smaller.
... & NOBODY fishes without powerbait!!! I love it..

B
Jan 16, 2008
also tie in a red or glow micro jig about 18" above the pimple

if there are perch on the bottom, use the leech for the first one, then fish with the perch eye

fish high for the trout, low for perch, experiment till you find the proper height, hit bottom, and reel up and keep count

M
Nov 21, 2006
Pocatello, ID
You have to get an extra pole permit to have more than 1 pole. It is pretty deep just around the bend from lakeside. If the ice is anywhere near the high water mark, it's DEEP almost everywhere below McCrea's Bridge.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
You have to get an extra pole permit to have more than 1 pole. It is pretty deep just around the bend from lakeside. If the ice is anywhere near the high water mark, it's DEEP almost everywhere below McCrea's Bridge.

I beleave ya can have up to 5 without the extra permit while ice fishing atleast thats the rules i been going by whats your take on it http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/fish/rules/definitions.pdf

Premium Features