• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exhaust Valve Solenoid Leaking Oil

outlaw700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Central Minnesota
Noticed today oil and exhaust smoke coming out of the breather tube from the exhaust valve solenoid. Planning on plugging the hoses on the valves but have them hooked up for now to make sure it runs correctly before I start changing things. Is this normal for exhaust and oil to be coming out of there? Running oil mix in gas right now, maybe just so much oil going through engine right now????

New to '05 900 RMK. Purchased sled late this past spring, road it in the yard once and the snow melted the next day. Then I began stripping it down to the bare chassis.

As far as the engine, over the summer I did a TM kit through IndyDan, also new 06 pistons, bellow's and carb boots. Just got it started now a few times, let it idle and come up to operating temp like IndyDan says to before riding it.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
That brings up a good question.
With the hoses plugged and no where for the oil to go, will this lead to excessive build up on the guillotines in the exhaust valves?

I have seen just the opposite with mine, bellows and top end of the valve bodies were cleaner than ever last year after I plugged my hoses.

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
I'd be willing to guess with no 'blow-by' there is no way for any amount of oil to make it that far.

Its like blowing into a plugged straw with air in the end.

outlaw700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Central Minnesota
Thanks guy's for your input. No wonder there was such an oil mess in that area when I tore it all down this summer. Going to drill the valve bodies and plug the hoses today.

Thanks again

Premium Features