• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.
Im looking for another sled for a back up/girlfriend sled. I've had a mm and loved it and also have had a lot of seat time on a viper. I'm wondering how the srx compares to these sleds power wise and reliability wise. I'm also wondering what parts are compatible between the srx,viper and mm.

The srx I am looking at is a 98 with a 151" track a boss seat and an ekholm tunnel. Hes asking 1,400. I'm thinking that if that tunnel and seat would swap over to my dads mountain max or viper that I wouldn't be out much if the sled was complete garbage.

Man it's making me sad how the interest in the yami 2 strokes is going down so much. You'd think someone that could answer someo of this would have stumbled in this by now.

I've got a couple new questions.

I heard the cranks in the srx are bad is this true? Also I'm very curious about the reliability and power compared to a mm or viper.

Any input is appreciated.
Thank you,
Spencer

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Not to sure on parts swapping over but I have two mm and an msrx and they are very similar in the way that they ride. If the srx has a can on it then power will be similar to what a piped mm is. There is a difference in the way the power comes in where the srx has the power valves. Power isn't quite as peaky as the piped mm.

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
The majority of the parts will swap from the Viper/MSRX/Mt Max. I have found that a Piped Mt Max and a canned MSRX were very close. As BLUE said above the power "FEALS" different. But very similar. I am trying to remember but I think there was a lot of discussion on cleaning the power valves. To keep them working correctly.

The major chassis difference from the MSRX and the Mt Max. The front of the bulk head is different to attach the different motors. Hood, Electronics, Motor.

I have not had a lot of time with a Viper. Not sure what the bulkhead and electronics compare to the MSRX. I know the front suspension on the viper has taller spindles. So the Mt Max and MSRX T arms will not swap with the Viper with out changing the spindles.

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
The msrx seat and tunnel are a direct fit on a mm. If you don't want to separate the tunnel from the bulkhead you can just swap out the front bulkhead peice. The front bulkheads and their front engine mounts are specific to msrx and srx. I'd say 20 or so rivets to swap out to do the job. That would be the best way to do it.
T arms are the same between the two.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
The 1998 mt srx was only made one year. It was 25lbs heavier over mm that was all on the front it wanted to dive. It was also wider than the mm and harder to side hill.

C

cableguy

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Country BC
dont think the cranks were bad but the one i had would sometimes overheat
figured out that a brass gear that spun the water pump was pressed on the crank and would sometimes spin on the crank instead of spinning the water pump other than that heavier but gobs of torque back then

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
Yamaha had tolerance issues on 98 SRX cranks, all taken care of by Yamaha.

Skickat från min YP-G70 via Tapatalk 2

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
dont think the cranks were bad but the one i had would sometimes overheat
figured out that a brass gear that spun the water pump was pressed on the crank and would sometimes spin on the crank instead of spinning the water pump other than that heavier but gobs of torque back then

Pretty much all the cranks were pinned and welded. The srx is quite a bit faster than the mtn mx with pipes. It has more torque. The stock pipes on these work great. Leave the tunnel on the srx and re-locate the skid back like they did on the 2000 mtn max. A set of adjustable transfer rods help this sled to squat instead of spin. You will not believe the mileage on these sleds as well..

Premium Features