• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting snowmobiles running

A
Feb 23, 2014
Michigan
So ten years ago my dad got in a pretty bad accident well snowmobiling and well put both the snowmobiles in the garage after and havent been touched since. I decided that i want to get them back running and be able to take them out. What kind of things do I have to do to get a engine going after being sat for 10 years (gas and oil was not drained) they are a 1994 and 1998 Yamaha Vmax 600. Thanks!

D
Jan 6, 2014
OHIO
take off carbs- clean thouroughly- check fuel lines

may need to replace lines as they dry up and crack. change plugs, make sure no animcal nested in muffler or air box. try starting with a simple cap full of mixed gas/oil in each spark plug hole first.:face-icon-small-sho best bet is to completely drain oil and gas and replenish.

A
Feb 23, 2014
Michigan
Another issue is on the '94 is the last time my dad was out riding it (ten years ago) one of the cylinders stopped firing:face-icon-small-fro. Any ideas on what would cause that to happen?

mckinney

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Evans, Co
Single cylinder stopped firing

We were out and had same issue with kids sled. I think the cap that screws into the spark plug is bad, it just screws off. Cut the wire back about 1/2 inch and screw new cap in place.

Try taking plug out and setting it on metal and try starting to see if it sparks. I can tell my cap is bad cause I held onto the cap and near the wire I got shocked. It is not a bad shock but enough to let me know that the wire was good and getting spark just not to the plug.

mckinney

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
may need to replace lines as they dry up and crack. change plugs, make sure no animcal nested in muffler or air box. try starting with a simple cap full of mixed gas/oil in each spark plug hole first.:face-icon-small-sho best bet is to completely drain oil and gas and replenish.

Pull carbs and use STA-BIL to disolve any varnish that is in the passages and bowls. Put double the recommended amount of STA-BIL in fuel system after vacuming the tank with an automotive remote electric fuel pump and length of hose. (I have done alot of motorsports from a local pawn shop, this is what I do)

A
Feb 23, 2014
Michigan
Thank you very much, this is all very helpful. I also have to replace a trailing arm on the '98, is that a hard thing to do? or pretty straight forward?

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
squirt oil down the plug holes and pull over to coat the bores abit...but first spray some wd 40 on your clutch crank seal and if possible on the mag side seal as well before to much turning over or starting as it may just be the difference between the seal being ok or failing on you because of the sitting long term..heck if there is a crankcase drain I would fill the critters right up past the crank bearing with oil and then drain..

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
squirt oil down the plug holes and pull over to coat the bores abit...but first spray some wd 40 on your clutch crank seal and if possible on the mag side seal as well before to much turning over or starting as it may just be the difference between the seal being ok or failing on you because of the sitting long term..heck if there is a crankcase drain I would fill the critters right up past the crank bearing with oil and then drain..

WD40 is known to damage rubber and plastic if sprayed on let sit. Stay away from WD40 and use silicone based lubricants.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
good to know Stingray...but some one should tell wd 40 as this was taken from their site..

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?

WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product.

http://wd40.com/faqs/#a98

anyway why take the chance if your experiences have shown damage..??

personally I have not had issues with it , but I do keep a can of silicone spray handy for the wife but I will try it next time, thanx for the heads up..

Last edited:
Premium Features