• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013/14 Big Horns N/S Snow Conditions

W

wyhighcountrylodge

Oct 29, 2008
WY High Country Lodge, WY
Lots of snow!!!!

After spending a couple hours blazing trail (and getting stuck even with chains on the Dodge) we came back to www.wyhighcountry.com the lodge and spent a little time playing in the powder. The depth runs from about 1 1/2 ft of packed to more than 3 ft where it's drifted up a bit.

As a newbie snowmobiler, it is more than enough to get my blood churning.

photo.php

We are, of course, open for business and serving food.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
After spending a couple hours blazing trail (and getting stuck even with chains on the Dodge) we came back to www.wyhighcountry.com the lodge and spent a little time playing in the powder. The depth runs from about 1 1/2 ft of packed to more than 3 ft where it's drifted up a bit.

photo.php

and who are you?

snow_god

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2011
southwest wisconsin
Stayed at arrow head last week for the week. Had a foot or so when we got there with close to 2 ft fallin while we were there. Forecast showed low fortys next week but It is deffently a good start this early in the season.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I just drove over the mountain. Two feet east of arrowhead. Nothing to a foot from arrowhead west about four miles. Then a bit more all the way to high country. Best spot to dink around about the Dayton gulch intersection

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com

photo.php

So are you the Yellowstone wolf supporters? I have heard the lodge changed management a few times.

M
Dec 30, 2010
Wyoming
Bald mountain

I was up elk hunting around the bald mountain area of the Big Horns and there was around two feet of snow. Going back up on sunday with the sleds to check it out a little more. Elk hunting and some area season riding should be a good day.

W

wyhighcountrylodge

Oct 29, 2008
Big Horn Weather 10-25-13

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY (10.27.13 ) EVENING THROUGH LATE MONDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BILLINGS HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE
MONDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING...SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES...IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP SUNDAY
EVENING AND CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION...12 TO 18 INCHES POSSIBLE.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH.

* IMPACTS...SNOW WILL CAUSE DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS OVER
MOUNTAIN PASSES.

This will be a nice addition to the 2' we already have!!!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
WHC you were on here this morning but did not bother to answer my questions and I see you are still a basic member. Not trying to start anything, just several people would like to know who you are and what you may or may not be.

Did you see this post " Who's Who at WHC???? " They give you the whole story. Eric

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Where is the lodge at? I've never been. Where do you guys unload to ride to the lodge? You guys drive up from the Dayton side or the west side of the mountain?

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
Mow, WYHCL is a couple miles North Northwest of Bald Mtn, on the Lovell side. You can ride over from Bear Lodge side, I think it is a bout 15-20 miles across?? Or you can come up Lovell side park at the Crystal Creek rest area and it is about a 3-4 mile ride in from there i think.

W

wyhighcountrylodge

Oct 29, 2008
Big snow coming to the Big Horns

The weather service is predicting a big dump for the Big Horns starting Sunday night.

Our snow depth pole in the middle of the field has settled in at about 1ft 6". So, the new snow will all be on top of that.....should be a covering nearing 3 ft if the top end of the prediction for the next few days holds true. We'll post a pic on Monday.

Today, the paved roads are clear. Forest Rd 13 and 14 are packed surfaces that are packed and icy in the morning. They soften up a lot by mid morning. Easy access by snow machine, fair access with a 4WD ATV or chained up 4WD truck. If you're thinking about coming in with a truck, bring a couple shovels and some buddies with strong backs, cause you'll be digging yourself out frequently!!!.

For you hunters, the elk seemed to have moved out. And, we've only seen one moose in the past week. We think that most of the animals have headed off over the face to spots with lower snow depths.

We will post conditions from the lodge every couple days or when there appears to be a change from our last post.

Right now, we have fuel, a warm fire and food. See ya on the mountain.

Ryan-41

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Cheyenne, Wyoming
www.myspace.com
Went up flying with a buddy this weekend and snapped this sweet picture, below is Baby Wagon Parking Lot right below and Meadowlark Lake is just up ahead! This is on the South Side obviously! We saw quite a few sled tracks, it was pretty awesome to see all terrain from above!

Enjoy,

Ryan

Baby Wagon From Above.jpg

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
What kind of aircraft were you flying? I used to fly over the Horns a lot on my way from ND to Lovell and back. Never took the time to really fly the range. I'd love to fly it in the winter time!

Premium Features