• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.
M
Oct 13, 2013
I put a big mouth intake on, v-force 3 reeds, and a basic aftermarket y pipe and I was just wondering if I would be able to get away without tuning or reflashing the ecu, or would I have to run a boondocker box and if so what would the numbers be for that

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I put a big mouth intake on, v-force 3 reeds, and a basic aftermarket y pipe and I was just wondering if I would be able to get away without tuning or reflashing the ecu, or would I have to run a boondocker box and if so what would the numbers be for that

I would say most definitely.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Definite yes as well. Dont you think you should give some more info as far as riding areas / elevations to get some ballpark BD numbers? Yr of sled? ECU updates?
:mmph:

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
If you were running only one of those mods I would not see a problem just running it without a controller. But with running all of them, I would start with checking plugs and wash to see what's going on in there. It may handle them just fine! Then I would invest in an egt so you can monitor what's going on. Then if having any fuel issues I would invest in a boonie box.

My question is, why run just those mods? More air in needs more air out...so why not go with something like a speedwerx pipe and a super-q can?

Boone

MikeM1000

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2011
My favorite and current configuration on my 08 M1000 is

09 Cat ReMap
Stock pipe! Tried D&D and anything over 3k ft and it's garbage
D&D can but installing Tunnel dump. (Hear that's the best)
Bikeman low elevation billet head
RK tek torsional conversion. (Absolute necessity)
Y pipe
BDX intake
KOSO EGT (safety)

Sled runs great never over EGT limit crisp and the head and clutching was night and day difference. I ride 700-7000ft. Really cold days (20deg) I can see my EGTs getting high on low valley trail till around 2500ft after head.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
M1000

The 07 with original ECU was about the only year that you need to be careful. We found that you could burn them down with a can and a Y and big air.

I would say you if your keeping stock pipe you will be OK especially with egts to keep an eye on it.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
The 07 with original ECU was about the only year that you need to be careful. We found that you could burn them down with a can and a Y and big air.

I would say you if your keeping stock pipe you will be OK especially with egts to keep an eye on it.

I would agree with this 100%. I found my 07 was very lean with the factory setup. Let alone with any mods. Seams the 08 and up was a bit more forgiving. I would recomend EGT's to anyone riding something other than bone stock. And when you hit 1150 (with probes 4" from the piston skirt) you need to think about shutting her down. When you get to 1200, get out the ropes.

Thunder

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
My 09 with just a d&d y-pipe, can, stock intake, and V-force reeds would get a hot spot in the midrange when crusing down the trail between 6200 and 6700 RPM. Vary the throttle a little and you would never see it.

The other place I had to add a little fuel was on the very top end. It was fine for 95% of the riding except for very long uphill pulls, like 15 or 20+ seconds at sustained WOT. Would be fine up to a point and then all of a sudden it would start creeping up.

Could you get by without a controller, probably. But you will need to be cautious of your riding and know that you are not 100% protected from a burndown.

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
I would also agree on the 07 Programing, I did the y-pipe, intake, reeds, can and was OK. BUT I know what a lean motor feels like and the thing was VERY close @ all throttle positions, especially mid range to BURN DOWN. I never did as I was careful and WOT it was fine, which is were I have the throttle always:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-sho. I would say to youif its a 2008 or newer your fine. If your a 07 get EGT's and know what to watch for TEMP wise. IMOP:face-icon-small-coo

M
Oct 13, 2013
Yea I got egt's and a PCV for it and it is a 2007 m1000 with 09 mapping I found the spx map for their full pipe setup works good for their y pipe alone with the sleds stock pipe, although I had to do a little bit of tuning in some areas to clean it up a bit but it seems like it pulls real hard now from midrange all the way through to my top end, now all I have to do is get it on a dyno and see how it does, oh on a plus note I'm getting better fuel mileage if I tour around under that 5000 rpm range versus the stock setup

M
Oct 13, 2013
Plus my egt temps all all looking amazing the only real hot spot I've seen soo far is right before the powervalves open if your only cruzing down, apparently it's normal for this to happen but I'm just going to stay away from riding at that rpm point

Premium Features