• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Newer Helix...?

T
Nov 18, 2008
Maine
As everyone knows, the m8s are set up to run higher altitudes. I have a 2011 and I am running between 0-3000 feet. I have the adjustable clutch weights on the primary, and have been doing some reading on changing the secondary helix.

I currently have the 36 degree, and Cat recommends the 40 degree one in my altitude. I was looking at the SLP diamond drive multi-angle helix found here:

https://www.startinglineproducts.co...iew=related&catalogID=2&catID=5&productID=828

I thought I would look into getting the 42/38 one.

I read on forums that the first steeper angle wants to be a very short duration...under .5. I have no idea if this is true, it is just what I have read. I emailed SLP about that helix and asked how long their first angle duration is, and they replied saying there is no specs on the helix for the duration, but he measured it and it was about .750"

I dont want to load the sled too much out of the hole in the deep snow.

Has anyone had any experience with these helix's or can recommend any others that they do like?

Playing with snowmobile clutching is all new to me.

THanks!

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
just put the 40* in there and ride it. the 42 degree would go by so fast you wouldnt even notice it.

T
Nov 18, 2008
Maine
Okay, you're saying use the stock one? I just figured I would get a different one than stock cause the stealership wants over $100 and I can get a multi-angle helix for a lot cheaper.

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
Motor

What motor are you running 800 or the 1000. I have a 42/38 in my M1000 with speedwerx pipe and lots of clutching done(cpc torsional conversion too), speedwerx primary weights also. Sorry I re read your post. On an 800 it may be ok with right weights in the primary but 40 straight might be better for you r application

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
i have a black anodized bdx/slp 42/38 helix, i used it for one day at togwotee it was made by bdx, bought from slp. it is for the electronic engine reverse, diamond drive sleds 09-11. it is like new. asking 40 shipped to the lower 48. Ski

R
Nov 26, 2014
North Idaho
I would talk to Jeff at Black Diamond Xtreme, he can machine any angle helix you need. He machined a 42/36 for my 2007 M8 it should be here this week so I haven't ran it yet but it should give me better acceleration out of the hole without sacrificing top speed. He is very knowledgeable and I'm sure he can help you with your setup. I think its about $70 for a helix from BDX.

Premium Features