• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

im sure this has been answered many times ....08 m1000 bumper mod

J
been looking and looking and cant make up my mind what to do!!
pics please!!!

i have a 08 m1000 want to do the tunnel/bumper mod
i wanted the bdx pro lite kit but its discontinued and nobody stocks it anymore

dont know if i want to pay all that money for the VE kit

dont like the idea of the stock parts

so either i find a pro lite somehow or fork over the cash for the van amburg kit and powder coat and rivets and foot rests :face-icon-small-fro

im open to suggestions and would love to see pics

thanks!!!!

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
m7_zps2bd7f4cf.jpg

I did an "economy" conversion on my 05 M7. Gussets installed and a green bumper off ebay for 20$, cut my rear bumper off and trimmed around where the new bumper went, actually looked factory when I was done, that's the easy way to do it im sure you wanna go a little more fancy...

Jeva

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I did the same thing but angled the rear bumper up a little more. I also bought a 162" bumper for my 153" so the bumper went all the way to the edge of the running boards. I used the stock cooler, lights, snow flap and also added a tunnel wrap.

I then added the B&M boards later with a different wrap.

IMG_0394.jpg 20131017_171231.jpg

J
I did the same thing but angled the rear bumper up a little more. I also bought a 162" bumper for my 153" so the bumper went all the way to the edge of the running boards. I used the stock cooler, lights, snow flap and also added a tunnel wrap.

I then added the B&M boards later with a different wrap.

How did you get rid of the handle?
Where did you get the black wrap?

The reason I liked the bdx kit is because I have a 162 and it goes all the way to the boards

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
To get rid of the handle, get your sawzal out, and have at it. once it "rough cutted" off you can use sanding disks to smooth the area and finish it off with a head gun. from 10 feet it looks like it was arctic cats design, close up you can tell its not perfect :noidea:, I wish I had more pictures but that sleds long gone now.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
those BDX and other kits are pretty slick and a little more straight forward, doing it this way retains most of the factory parts and can be done for under 50$ depending where you source your parts.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
20131224_175451_zpssqlqq3qf.jpg

I did find one more picture, you can see below the tail light where the bumper used to mate with the back section, also note right below the red reflector I made a straight cut, and put a screw in to keep that section held down.

Jeva

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I think I bought 24"X60" piece that barley fit and tried to do it in one piece, which was tough. The second time I did it I cut into smaller pieces and overlapped them. You only can see the overlap if you look real close, if its black you probably wouldn't see them. I also bought a little extra for patch jobs over rivets or tears. Just make sure you get the stuff with air bubble release, there is a ton of it on ebay.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
been looking and looking and cant make up my mind what to do!!
pics please!!!

i have a 08 m1000 want to do the tunnel/bumper mod
i wanted the bdx pro lite kit but its discontinued and nobody stocks it anymore

dont know if i want to pay all that money for the VE kit

dont like the idea of the stock parts

so either i find a pro lite somehow or fork over the cash for the van amburg kit and powder coat and rivets and foot rests :face-icon-small-fro

im open to suggestions and would love to see pics

thanks!!!!

What is wrong with the stock parts? IMO the BDX kit is a cheap hack job, I have seen quite a few tunnels crack from their kits and the directions were followed to a T on the install. The rear bumper needs to meet on top of the running boards where the drop brackets start. These mods on here where the bumper ends halfway down the tunnel extensions are just asking for the tunnel extension to be kinked. Do yourself a favor and buy the right parts from cat to do it. You can use your old tunnel extension, but you will need the gussets, and a rear bumper. Your edge rails are the newer style, will just need to be cut shorter. If it were me I would just buy the right tunnel extension, the heat exchanger, snowflap, taillight and everything. Then it doesnt look like a backyard mechanic did it.

This is a conversion I did on an 06 M7 with all oem parts.

Last edited:
J
What is wrong with the stock parts? IMO the BDX kit is a cheap hack job, I have seen quite a few tunnels crack from their kits and the directions were followed to a T on the install. The rear bumper needs to meet on top of the running boards where the drop brackets start. These mods on here where the bumper ends halfway down the tunnel extensions are just asking for the tunnel extension to be kinked. Do yourself a favor and buy the right parts from cat to do it. You can use your old tunnel extension, but you will need the gussets, edge rails, and a rear bumper. To do it right anyway. If it were me I would just buy the right tunnel extension, the heat exchanger, snowflap, taillight and everything. Then it doesnt look like a backyard mechanic did it.

This is a conversion I did on an 06 M7 with all oem parts.

The bdx on my old 06 m7 was great and never cracked thats why i was considering it for my 10000

20140723_123947.jpg

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I used a bdx bumper on my old m1000.
No cracks or any other problems at all.
I do have bumper still if you are interested minus the foot braces,I used them on another build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features