• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 m1000 help?!

B
Recently acquired a new to me 08 m1000 with around 1400 miles on it. Only mods are hood vents, clutch side vents, and mbrp can. Right when I start it and let it idle a bit to get a little heat in the motor I can hop on and go. It will run all the way 7600 rpm (I don't hold it there) and it just rips but once I let off to turn around it seems to go into limp mode and will only climb to ~6300 rpm and just sputter there. What is strange though is that I can turn the key off, start it back up and it will rip again until I let off. I have cleaned the power valves, checked the oiler linkage, unhooked wiring harness to handle bars, put new plugs in it, have tried to look at wires as much as I can but just can't figure this thing out. What's most frustrating is that it's giving me glimpses of what it should be.

Thanks in advance for any help....and yes I have done a lot of searching already and can't seem to find anybody with my issue.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Still sounds like servo not working, how are you testing it?

Put new plugs in it and check caps and wires though.

Unplug the brake light wires by the brake rotor, if there is a short it can cause a power fluctuation to the servo, they are on the same curcit.

Have you cleaned the power valves?

J
May 20, 2013
Eastern Or
My brother in law's failed with no code it even looked like it was working on the stand so we pulled the servo motor out and tested it with a battery. It spun good one direction then reversed polarity and spun good the second direction then we tested the ohms and it was way down. New servo motor and he was back rippin

B
I checked the servo by putting on a stand so I run the throttle and watch it turn. I will take it off and test it as well. If it's the servo, why would it run normal for that first pull and then reset when I shut it off for 10 seconds?

Thanks for the help guys.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
This is also very typical of a stater going out when its cooler it runs fine but when its warmer it starts to go bad. I have seen that before several times .

B
Went riding on my other sled for the weekend and didn't have time to try everything you guys posted. What ohm readings should I be getting when rotating the servo and what wires? I found one post somehwere that said red probe on black/white wire and black probe on yellow wire and when I rotate it it should go to 4700 but I'm only getting about 600. Also, what readings should I get on the stator?

O

orange 1

Oct 31, 2009
Grande Prairie A.B.
??

After you checked for correct cable length and smooth cable pull did you install the cables on the correct side of the drum? The inside is where they go. Seen a few guys overlook that after changing out cables. I apologize if you are a power valve maintance pro and know most of the common assembly problems people seem to have!

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Somthings wrong in servo like stated.

It works fine open servo and throws it to limp mode something is not right with servo would correct answer.

Quick fix trade servos and test.

Cables not moving free could also cause this.

Premium Features