• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche in Mancos Area

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado

Wow - that is a lot of snow to search. I hope they find him soon so the family can get some closure.

Have you seen avalanche debris piles like this in the past in that area? How long will it take for 60 feet of snow to melt out this spring/summer?

S

skywagon

Oct 29, 2010
There are times in different areas of our Colorado mountains that will not melt out during the summer, every year is different. A good example is Schofield Pass south of Marble, some years you can jeep over it and some years it doesn't melt, depending on how deep the slides are there.
Ron

T

TheHardWay

Jan 2, 2011
Hesperus, CO
I looked at the pictures on the CAIC site. What exactly made those guys think this was a good chute to run right after it snowed? Looks like extremely poor judgement to me. It is sad that someone had to die but that looks just plain stupid to me.

The rider was not running in the chute. He was on a bench to the south of the chute. A group of riders was above and to the south of him waiting for him when when they heard the sled shut off, out of sight. Approximately a minute or two went by, so the group figured that the rider had become stuck. While allegedly trying to free his stuck sled in a patch of trees, it broke above and to the north of him. Due to the topography, the slide started, then propagated, catching the rider, and sweeping him off of the bench, and down into the chute roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile.
It was a very somber and sobering experience being in there searching and I do not wish that feeling on anyone. Things can go very wrong in a hurry. Please be careful out there. Thoughts and prayers to the Yates family.

O
Dec 6, 2007
Wrong again!!!

You must be the dumbest slender I have ever known. Instead of NOT telling the story and telling me I am wrong why not just enlighten us oh great one.

Truth is, that group screwed up big time and now somebody is dead. The proof is in the results. So why not HELP the rest of us and discuss how this could have been avoided.

You are doing your dead buddy a serious disservice by not talking about the major errors committed leading up to his untimely death.

You need to get a clue son before you wind up like your buddy over stupid pride

T
Nov 3, 2010
Gunnison
Super sad day, grew up with most the guys that were riding that day. Wasn't there, but heard he was actually getting someone else's sled unstuck. There will be a Chili Dinner Fundraiser this Saturday at 5:30 at the Arriola Community Center. All proceeds will be used to assist volunteers in the community with the search and recovery of Rob.

M

m8braaaap

Banned
Dec 3, 2012
mancos colorado
You must be the dumbest slender I have ever known. Instead of NOT telling the story and telling me I am wrong why not just enlighten us oh great one.

Truth is, that group screwed up big time and now somebody is dead. The proof is in the results. So why not HELP the rest of us and discuss how this could have been avoided.

You are doing your dead buddy a serious disservice by not talking about the major errors committed leading up to his untimely death.

You need to get a clue son before you wind up like your buddy over stupid pride

TheHardWay already explained it.i don't feel the need to argue with a pompous azz!

Last edited:
S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Ouray, please contain your comments. Your not doing anyone any favors by persecuting these people. If you read Hardways post you will see this was not an act of someone being ignorant. Are you the self imposed forum expert on avys now?? Have you been to the scene?? Not being an expert myself, but having been to avy classes does dictate that I know that there are many factors leading to many slides, and to place blame and ridicule on those involved usually does little to propagate any kind of positive results.

Praying for the family of the lost sledder.

Sam

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
Lets have a little compassion for the family and the feeling of those closely involved in this~ this is not the time or place for a pizzing match~ SO COOL IT!!!!!!!

T
Dec 31, 2007
First and foremost my thoughts and prayers go out to all of his family and friends.

I was curious if anyone can cut and paste, or put up a link or map to the exact area where the accident happened. I ride that area frequently and am looking forward to the CAIC final report which will have the facts and more photos of this accident.

Be safe everyone.

Here's kinda a cool picture of Mt Hesperus, taken a few weeks ago on the south flank of sharks tooth.

image.jpg

O
Dec 6, 2007
Ouray, please contain your comments. Your not doing anyone any favors by persecuting these people. If you read Hardways post you will see this was not an act of someone being ignorant. Are you the self imposed forum expert on avys now?? Have you been to the scene?? Not being an expert myself, but having been to avy classes does dictate that I know that there are many factors leading to many slides, and to place blame and ridicule on those involved usually does little to propagate any kind of positive results.

Praying for the family of the lost sledder.

Sam

Simply looking for the truth here. It is NOT a pizzin match until brap tries to make it one.

In HONOR of the dead person we should be looking at the GROSS MISTAKES that lead to his death not trying to cover it up with feelgood BS. You don't want this to happen to others anymore than I do. I think a healthy discussion of what went VERY wrong is the BEST way to learn from this.

So they took a safe route into a dangerous place. I have seen the pictures, they are VERY telling. It is OBVIOUS, I do not need to be an expert. After riding for a couple decades in the mountains in every condition imaginiable, I have yet to even have to dig someone out, so I might know a little about backcountry riding.

These people involved, and everybody watching COULD benefit IF there was an honest discussion. Not having that honest discussion means that nobody learns anything. We sweep it under the rug as a freak accident, which it wasn't. More sledders could perish thinking riding places like that in conditions like that thinking it was OK and it was just an accident. It wasn't, it was poor judgement. Somebody should say so, and if those involved have to much pride to do so, I will say it, everytime.

It is very sad another had to give their life but for Gods sake people, acknowledge what really happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Simply looking for the truth here. It is NOT a pissin match until brap boy tries to make it one.

In HONOR of the dead person we should be looking at the GROSS MISTAKES that lead to his death not trying to cover it up with feelgood BS. You don't want this to happen to others anymore than I do. I think a healthy discussion of what went VERY wrong is the BEST way to learn from this.

So they took a safe route into a dangerous place. I have seen the pictures, they are VERY telling. It is OBVIOUS, I do not need to be an expert. After riding for a couple decades in the mountains in every condition imaginiable, I have yet to even have to dig someone out, so I might know a little about backcountry riding.

These people involved, and everybody watching COULD benefit IF there was an honest discussion. Not having that honest discussion means that nobody learns anything. We sweep it under the rug as a freak accident, which it wasn't. More sledders could perish thinking riding places like that in conditions like that thinking it was OK and it was just an accident. It wasn't, it was poor judgement. Somebody should say so, and if those involved have to much pride to do so, I will say it, everytime.

It is very sad another had to give their life but for Gods sake people, acknowledge what really happened.

I truly PRAY the family is not reading this thread. Really comforting that there is someone out there that could have prevented this tragedy. It is obvious Ouray that you are not going to HONOR the deceased, if so you would stop placing so much blame. Looking at pictures makes you an expert due to your many decades of back country experience, I know. We have established that. If you really want to make an impact, maybe just say a prayer for those involved. NOBODY is trying to cover anything up. No conspiracy theory here. You are the one placing implicit BLAME.

BTW, I am honestly extremely pleased that you have never had to extract anyone from a slide, and pray you never have to and are never involved in a slide. This is a heartfelt statement. It's a thing one never forgets.

Sam

O
Dec 6, 2007
Dangerous snow conditions, confirmed by the experts at CAIC. Additional avalanche activity shortly after the deadly slide. Experts on the scene not allowing excess activity on the hill during rescue operations.

These facts lead me to believe that there is an extreme level of denial regarding the events. I hope NOBODY ever has to go through this again. We share that sentiment.

Looks quite obvious to me that this was preventable by any one in that riding group. They chose to ignore what look like tons of danger sins and ignored good backcountry judgement.

Just own it.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Dangerous snow conditions, confirmed by the experts at CAIC. Additional avalanche activity shortly after the deadly slide. Experts on the scene not allowing excess activity on the hill during rescue operations.

These facts lead me to believe that there is an extreme level of denial regarding the events. I hope NOBODY ever has to go through this again. We share that sentiment.

Looks quite obvious to me that this was preventable by any one in that riding group. They chose to ignore what look like tons of danger sins and ignored good backcountry judgement.

Just own it.

Are you for real??? Is there one ounce of compassion in there??? Told you so attitudes really bring incredible closure to such tragedies don't they. I am hopeful you feel better now. I'm sure the family feels much better being enlightened by your utopian evaluation regarding this tragedy.

BTW, if you think by your triad regarding this event is going to educate others regarding future tragedies, hardly. It will only bring dissention and separation from a community that is already reeling from a loss. There is a time and a place for said debates, just not here or now. Such debates bring tension and hostility. Call it "feel good BS" if you want. There are much better ways to handle this. In my humble opinion anyway.

Sam

Last edited:
O
Dec 6, 2007
Are you for real??? Is there one ounce of compassion in there??? Told you so attitudes really bring incredible closure to such tragedies don't they. I am hopeful you feel better now. I'm sure the family feels much better being enlightened by your utopian evaluation regarding this tragedy.

BTW, if you think by your triad regarding this event is going to educate others regarding future tragedies, hardly. It will only bring dissention and separation from a community that is already reeling from a loss. There is a time and a place for said debates, just not here or now. Such debates brings tension and hostility. Call it "feel good BS" if you want. There are much better ways to handle this. In my humble opinion anyway.

Sam

Well Sam, the thread title is "Avalanche in the Mancos area" not " condolences to the family" for staters.

I am Looking for a discussion in an avy thread about how people can avoid this in the future, not a thread full of denial of the facts. Looks to me like those wanting to avoid the discussion are the ones lacking compassion. Let us stop these tragedies by airing the mistakes made. It would be best to do this while the facts are fresh.

It appears I am I the wrong place for that discussion. You guys would clearly rather deny the facts and allow others to follow in these fatal sled tracks.

Last edited:
Premium Features