• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M8 is totally dead ... stator, ECU, voltage regulator ...?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok, so long story short, sled sat all season long because I didn't have time to get it all back together.

Just recently, I had the time to start getting it all back together ...

It previously had a Boondocker turbo kit that I sold and I am "putting it back to stock".

I could have sworn that I had everything properly connected, took my time, sprayed all the connections out with contact cleaner, made sure the chassis ground on the steering hoop was tight, etc.

I can't even get so much as a flicker on the MFD or EGT gages, and those always used to flicker ...

Won't fire, nothing.

If a sled is totally dead like this, other than a ground issue, what could it possibly be? I'm thinking the stator somehow is fried?

All electronics on the sled were working just fine the last time it ran, which was February 2013 ... kinda sat torn apart in my garage for the last 5 months.

Anyone here an electrical gremlin guru? :)

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
It would be unusual to fry all the coils on the stator at once. Un plug your kill switch and check for spark. Somewhere you have a completed circuit that's cutting everything out. I would un plug the main leads off the stator and start testing right there. Did you ever figure out where to get a pipe stretcher?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
It would be unusual to fry all the coils on the stator at once. Un plug your kill switch and check for spark. Somewhere you have a completed circuit that's cutting everything out. I would un plug the main leads off the stator and start testing right there. Did you ever figure out where to get a pipe stretcher?

Drove 8 hours saturday to run to another town and pick up a pipe that hadn't been modified only to get home, sleep, wake up sunday morning and run into electrical issues :(

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
I had a stator go down this winter on a 10 m8 so its not unheard of. its just dead there is a way to check them if I remember. just google it how to test if u cant find it I have a sheet on how to check them

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok I am an idiot.

Throttle safety switch might be bad. I unplugged the handlebar harness, 15 or so pulls to get the fuel pump pressured up it fired right up.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
More likely it is your kill switch than the throttle safety switch. The throttle safety switch is the little plunger under the flipper, what I call the kill switch is the red emergency shutdown. Probable just some corrosion in it.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I told him the tss would let it start but not rev up... that was how it was on the first few years, but am I off on that on any of the newer sleds?

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Well, sled ran great all weekend except the last 1,000 rpm I couldn't pull :p

I think something is messed up in my secondary. I was playing around with my delfection and tightening the deflection up to the point of reasonable engagement only let me rev about 6800 rpm, loosening it up I got 7400 .... I think the secondary is binding up.

But at least the motor works, I have all summer to figure out whats wrong with the secondary.

Premium Features