• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010/2011 Clutch Spider Breakage Poll

Have you broken a spider in a 2010/2011 M sled?

• Total voters
M

M6johnny

Dec 4, 2007
Brookings SD
2011 HCR with about 500-600 miles with a broken spyder, must be some what of a issue still. Hope they get it figured out.

That sucks, I know that the primary is a different part # between 2010 and 2011. My friend broke his spider this weekend on his 2010, and Im sure mine is not too far behind.:frusty:

mountainfever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
09 HCR spider stripped at the end of last season @1100 miles, last day of last ride , made it to the truck , 2011 M8 SP 460miles cracked spider , clutch seized was able to limp it out , not too impressed , dealer warrantied both no questions asked. I buy new just about every year to avoid things like this, needless to say i am unimpressed
mf

M

M6johnny

Dec 4, 2007
Brookings SD
I called Fett bros today about their billet spider and you do have to buy their bushing and roller kit. For everything it will cost around 250 for the billet spider and rollers. Probably a better deal than the 150 for the cat spider that I might get 1000 miles out of. Fricken joke???

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
I also saw that Supreme Tool Inc makes a billet spider complete w/ replaceable bushings/rollers.
Everything for $275.
http://supremetoolinc.com/cart/3-arm-arctic-cat-billet-spider-p-64.html
These are the same guys that make the Super Tip weights.

But at that $, your close to getting a Pol primary...then get it retapered.
Quite curious on what the Fastrax kit costs..which is a Pol primary retapered, and supposedly spring/wts that will work w/ the M8 too.

After more research, $275 doesn't get you anywhere into the league of a pol clutch/retaper/setup/and the tools needed to do it right ($999 through Fastrax), so it seems a spider replacement may be better value...especially if you have a proper setup (wts/spring) already.
Just curious if these billet spiders are the true fix for the Cat primaries.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2010
anchorage
I voted to soon, after pulling my clutch apart to change the spring on my 2010 M8 today I found a crack in the spider.

Then I pulled a friends 2011 HCR clutch apart to change yet another broken spring I found a large crack in his primary. Arctic Cat we have a problem.

Jason

Jason I have a spare clutch if you want to part out the spider.

Bill
Anchorage.

New One

After careful consideration... I think that the risk of the remaining components of the clutch.. bushings etc... being worn out is also fairly high, I'm just replacing the whole thing rather than messing with the spider.. comes with everything other than weights and spring (yes, new pins etc are included).

J

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
After more research, $250-275 doesn't get you anywhere into the league of a p85 clutch/retaper/setup/and the tools needed to do it right ($999 through Fastrax).

So it seems a spider replacement may be better value...especially if you have a proper setup (wts/spring) already.
Just curious if these billet spiders are the true fix for the Cat primaries.

Also waiting to see what RKT comes up with for an alternate P85 option.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Buddy just cracked a spider yesterday, 1000 miles on a 2011.
He jumps on occasion, but not a big dipsh** like me. I don't expect mine to last anywhere NEAR that long.

I'm going to buy a supreme spider for when that happens, that way it's a one time fix. I'll take the cat spider that I get for warranty... and sell that turd for whatever I can get for it!

I don't think I've ever gotten 1000 or better from a cat spider btw, so to me this is no new phenomenon.

Not a chance though that I'll spend almost a GRAND on a polaris primary. Cool idea, but way too high for me.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Buddy just cracked a spider yesterday, 1000 miles on a 2011.
He jumps on occasion, but not a big dipsh** like me. I don't expect mine to last anywhere NEAR that long.

I'm going to buy a supreme spider for when that happens, that way it's a one time fix. I'll take the cat spider that I get for warranty... and sell that turd for whatever I can get for it!

I don't think I've ever gotten 1000 or better from a cat spider btw, so to me this is no new phenomenon.

Not a chance though that I'll spend almost a GRAND on a polaris primary. Cool idea, but way too high for me.

Who makes the "Supreme" spider?

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Spider options: (I think I have this info in 3 or 4 diff threads now) :)

Fett Brothers Performance
HD Clutch Spider (billet)
Page 7
$150 + rollers & bushings = ~$250 *
* From other posts on this subject its been explained that the FB option requires their roller and bushing kit, which puts the FB at aprox $250.

Supreme Tool Inc
3 Arm AC Billet Spider
Complete with replaceable rollers and buttons.
$275

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
can you just swap spiders, i coulda swore that this was a big no no cause there all ballanced from the factory (reason they dont sell them seperate)

so if you do replace the spider do you just get the clutch rebalanced?

i was wondering the same thing cause i have two m7 primarys, and an m8 primary sitting on my shelf that all have good spiders.

-Aksnopro

can you just swap spiders, i coulda swore that this was a big no no cause there all ballanced from the factory (reason they dont sell them seperate)

so if you do replace the spider do you just get the clutch rebalanced?

i was wondering the same thing cause i have two m7 primarys, and an m8 primary sitting on my shelf that all have good spiders.

-Aksnopro

The clutch and housing themselves are balanced, I think that the spider is balanced / doesn't make that much difference.. but could be wrong.. the other thing that concerned me is alignment, probably have to re-shim the primary etc... of course Supreme or Fett should be able to answer this..

JJC

Werx07

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2009
I work for a dealer and I have seen a handful of these cracked spiders. All of the sleds that were in warranty got new clutches no questions asked. Cat has not turned down a claim yet! I wouldnt trust a clutch with a replaced spider from cat as I have learn from experience that most wont last long.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
so hear is one for you.

If some one put mds weights in and the set screw comes out and breaks the spider who's fault? Should you be upset when dealer tell you no warranty?
When dealers do warranties if its not to par cat will not pay them back. This is not always the case but be honest with your dealer and they will be honest with you.

i am with MM too. it is the dealer that fights for warrantee coverages. cat is just the final we are giving you the parts, mfg/supplier. it appears the dealer you have chosen has decided that you are not worth their time to go to bat for. plain lazy.

time for a new dealer. protest with your pocketbook. believe it or not it does work.

i also believe if you open this up to other years, and have people put mileage down you would be suprized on the amount of these failures.

this is a mfg defect, poor design, cheap casting and assembly. the excuse is put off on the consumer. personally i lost 2 clutches on 2009 m8's both with less than 1400 miles. first one went at about 900, second went at approx 1400. i check, clean clutches EVERY TRIP.

THIS IS NOT LACK OF MAINTAINENCE OR EXPERIENCE ON MY PART. THIS IS A MANUFACTURER ISSUE.

CAT if you are keeping tabs on this... 21 failures so far, in a poll of 60 responses (to date). this is not a one off issue. this is A PROBLEM! and it should be rectified at YOUR COST, NOT THE CONSUMER. ski

D

DeepInTheTrees

Nov 26, 2007
Battle Ground, WA
Broken Spider

I just broke my spider on Wednesday. 2010 HCR 650mi (I bought it in September '10 with 200mi. on it.)

1186238671_photobucket_44855_.jpg

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
There is a big issue with these clutches and we believe that there are 2 causes:1) the excessive weight of the clutch. Considering it hangs out so far from the pto crank bearing (moment arm is very long) this will create a strong "whipping" effect and wreak havoc on the clutch. Ever notice how much those engines jump around at idle? start one without the primary on it and note the difference.

2) IMO there is something seriously wrong with the thread design they are using between the spider and center post-it seems like a mis match and they come apart poorly most of the time...I wonder what kind of stresses are going on there.....

Our P85 conversion is rockin and solving the problems. serviceable, way less moment arm shaking, smoother and far better bottom end response. Performance gains are coming along with as a side benefit. We've got years of running these clutches on long stroke 1150 big bores that Cat oem clutches wouldn't live on either. Clutches are in stock and machining is occuring weekly....there is a thread elsewhere in the M section with details.

Curt

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Yepp voted to early also 1200 miles spider exploded peices came through the hood belt guard and belly pan, ,lucky it wasnt through my leg

Premium Features