• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bearing failure, crank, pto side, 2015 pro

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
pto side crank bearing blew a part. ripped the crank seal up.

Could my crank seal have gone bad causing the bearing to not get lube and blow?

everything else looks good.

anyone else had this bearing let loose?

thankfully the cases are okay..

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
I've worked on a lot of two strokes. Quads not snowmobiles but it's all going to be the same. If a crank seal goes your going to lean out and melt a piston before a bearing comes apart

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
It was only the outer row of bearings on the outter edge of the bearing that failed.

Trying to determine if there was a cause or if it just a random failure?

crappy thing to happen on such a new sled, if it were my sled i think i might get the primary clutch balanced and make sure the auto oil is turned up.
probably checking if their is enough crush on that replacment bearing before running it again would be wise?

Dec 1, 2010
2013 pro bearing failure

Had same thing happen Friday in tog on a 2013 pro. Haven't torn it down yet but would like to here if you find a reason for it. I'll do the same .

T
Aug 8, 2011
The stock polaris wide crank bearing on the pto side is junk. It uses a spring cage in the bearing, it's likely built in China along with their wiring harness. The cage spits out and ball bearings wad up...fails.

One of Indy Dans upgrades to the long rod crank package he sells is to replace the wide single bearing with two higher quality bearings and an additional ring to carry pto crank end load better.

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Have you recently blown a belt? If pieces of belt wrap around the crank it can tear out some of the crank seal allowing contaminaton at the bearing or even belt pieces could get into the bearing.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
The stock polaris wide crank bearing on the pto side is junk. It uses a spring cage in the bearing, it's likely built in China along with their wiring harness. The cage spits out and ball bearings wad up...fails.

One of Indy Dans upgrades to the long rod crank package he sells is to replace the wide single bearing with two higher quality bearings and an additional ring to carry pto crank end load better.

Exactly what happen to my bearing..

The bearing has a been updated/superseded. The new bearing has "Slovakia" stamped right on it. It was noisy new, I blew it out with compressed air and then kept oiling it with premix till it was silent and smooth before installing along with rk tek pistons, runs harder then ever now.

Premium Features