• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recommendations for a rear skid for a Pro turbo

S
Feb 7, 2010
Northwestern ND
Hey guys any help would be great. I have a 15 pro 155" with a 3". Wondering what everyones experiences are and Recommendations for a rear skid would be. I have about 150 miles on sled now and first trip out wasn't the best snow but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be having issues keeping the front end down(which I kinda figured I would).

Thanks

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I had a Kmod skid with Fox Zero pros, Awesome trail suspension but so so for climbing.The adjustable coupling block system isn't that great, the rear scissor bends easily where the block hits it. This year running a Racers Edge with Elkas no comparison. If keeping the nose down on steep climbs is what your looking for, the Racers Edge is a far better skid.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
you could look at trying the K.I.S.S. coupling thing from Zbros
i'm sure the ride will be better with new shocks and skid though

M

MATCO

Jan 2, 2010
edmonds, wa
Have you tried it?

I have ARC on my 162 3" and it helps a ton! The ability to change shock valving on the fly is amazing. I lowered pressure in my rear shock and made for better tree riding and can couple the skid without stopping. This allows you to make steeper ascents out of the trees with little or no momentum and not end up digging a hole or flipping over backwards.

If I had this technology when I started this build I would've done a 155 instead of 162.

D

doudea

Sep 20, 2009
Western Slope
I have one ride with the skins arc, so not much time to give a tested review. But it helped with the ski lift quite a bit. This is on a bone stock rear skid.

It is nice that you can kick it in or out while ridding. Found it nice when side hilling to be able to go from stock to firmer for ski lift. Time will tell, I just need to get my arse out more.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hey guys any help would be great. I have a 15 pro 155" with a 3". Wondering what everyones experiences are and Recommendations for a rear skid would be. I have about 150 miles on sled now and first trip out wasn't the best snow but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be having issues keeping the front end down(which I kinda figured I would).

Thanks

How much money do you want to spend? If money is not an issue and don't care how much you spend and want to best I would full skid, Kmod with Raptors would be my choice your looking at $2800, or if you want coupling on the fly from handle bars the ARC would be cool but $1200.

Best bang for your buck I think will be the KISS adjustable coupling block from ZBroz ($160)... That and a rear Assault shock or ZBroz rear Exit shock and your gonna have a skid that will do about anything you want with a great ride for only $500.
http://www.zbrozracing.com/polaris-pro-coupling-bracket

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
Having been a giant KMOD fan in the past I bought a Turbo Pro with thel latest gen Timbersled and I am really impressed. Holds the front down perfectly without taking the fun away. I have owned pretty much skid out there to date on turbos except the racers edge and until this. I would have said say Kmod no question but I am really impressed by this skid.

S
Feb 7, 2010
Northwestern ND
Thanks guys! Of course the cheaper the better... But I've already stuck X amount of money into the sled the way it is so what's another 3k. Lol. I'm looking to be playfull but if I drop in somewhere and if I need to be able to climb out I can do so. Would like to try the ARC system but just a little worried about it since this is really the first year of it.. I know I need different shocks for sure. Have just the stock WE now. But didn't want to stick money into shocks and then buy a skid later down the road.. So sounds like raptor is the way to go? I have Fox Evol 3 on the front with 36" zbro arms...
I did have a Timber on my Turbo 12 163" and was satisfied with it but not happy with it

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Easy, Kmod w/Raptors. Nothing else comes close.

http://www.kmodsnowmobileparts.com/polaris

Call Kevin and talk with him directly. He'll answer any questions you may have.

I had a Kmod skid with Fox Zero pros, Awesome trail suspension but so so for climbing.The adjustable coupling block system isn't that great, the rear scissor bends easily where the block hits it. This year running a Racers Edge with Elkas no comparison. If keeping the nose down on steep climbs is what your looking for, the Racers Edge is a far better skid.

Sounds like something is wrong, did you ever call Kevin and ask about your problems?

P

purepolaris600

Aug 21, 2009
Elkader iowa
This is what i would do i am running the arc and it helps alot on keeping the front down, then if you deciede you want better suspenion then call up zbroz and get some exit shocks, i would keep with the stock skid with the exit shock and you will not find a better riding sled.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Call Kevin and talk with him directly. He'll answer any questions you may have.

Sounds like something is wrong, did you ever call Kevin and ask about your problems?
No I didn't. Like I said the ride on the trail was great. I ordered directly from him set up for my sled and my weight. I think a big part of the problem was the fox shocks. The Racers Edge with the Elka is a far stiffer setup. I feel the Kmod adjusting block has a comfy ride, till you hit the adjuster Kind of off or on. The Racers Edge feels more seamless all the way through the stroke.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
I seen a few turbo poos from the top of the hill looking down as they are comming up..one thing that I seen from kmod to racers is when the sled is down to the final 5 to 10mph on wot ...that is when you see the true potenial of the skids ability to hold skis down when track speeds are maximum and a three inch 174 ripping underneath.. This is how I have came up that racers skids will pull the front end down quicker and longer than others

I have ran ther skid on my doo for years and have tried many others In between but never get rid of it..

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Don't just do raptor shocks on the stock skid. They're better than stock but you'll be wishing you would've just done a full kmod from the beginning... Don't ask how I know. Can't speak to the other skids but you're at the upper end of a high end skid so you probably can't go too far wrong no matter which direction you go. As stated before, talk to Kevin @ kmod and/or jake at raptor.

Premium Features