• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What's it take to make a 15 handle?

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
On set up hard snow, I don't like the way my pro handles. maybe shocks would help, I just don't ride or wait till the afternoon when it softens up. I think the Axys will handle the hard snow a lot better.

C
Jan 4, 2009
sw montana
i own both 2010ac and 2014pro and can say i use the pro stock sleds the pro will out maneuver period the ac was great in its day and it has alot more engine snap which i miss on the pro oh ya the fox air shocks are the pits

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Have you checked your air pressure on the hill?
We had a Yamaha ride with us a couple weeks ago. At the shop his air pressure was at 50#. We checked it on the hill (9800') they were at 120#. Is this normal for these air shocks.

That is not normal to have that big of a pressure swing due to elevation change or temperature. Elevation will only change the gage pressure a few psi and the colder temperature outside should have actually lowered it from that aspect. Seems the only thing that would explain that would be if you were checking the Evol chamber pressure vs the main chamber. Evol pressure is typically much higher. Or the pump may not have been threaded on all the way in the shop.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
i own both 2010ac and 2014pro and can say i use the pro stock sleds the pro will out maneuver period the ac was great in its day and it has alot more engine snap which i miss on the pro oh ya the fox air shocks are the pits

2010 Cat chassis is not the same as the 2014 Cat chassis. Not really applicable to the comparison Wyoboy is trying to make.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Thanks TRS for the info.

At this point is the usual forum talk. You just need to learn.....

As for needing to learn the chassis, i don't, I'm sure a little time will help learning bad habits of those crap shocks. Also, the way my sled is setup vs a stock pro is no comparison, I don't care who is riding it, it dominates my terrain dominator and the regular pro. TRS saw my 12, my 14 is way more advanced. Read my sig.
I'm using up everything it had to offer and want more, either there is more to offer our I'll just give the sled to my brother in law and ride the cat until I get the axys's in.

C
Dec 24, 2014
At this point is the usual forum talk.

As for needing to learn the chassis, i don't,

Also, the way my sled is setup vs a stock pro is no comparison, I don't care who is riding it, it dominates my terrain dominator and the regular pro.

I'm using up everything it had to offer and want more,

^^^Yep, looks like the usual BS to me to... "I am the stud king of riding and sled building". What do you need anyone's help for here then? Just do it like the rest of the mod crowd, drop $3-4K into it and lie to us about how perfect it is and nothing else could keep up.... Oh wait, you already did that with the Cat.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Just come ride with me then, I'm just asking you guys for help the same way I help others to get the best. Why would I drop that kind of money not knowing, my mods are very strategic and for a specific reason. If someone asks me what to do I find out what they want and tell them where to start and depending on money and how far to go, along with what to do first.
Like what TRS did, and I would take his and dustins opinion first anyway, but wanted to get info to check options because, why not.
I have the money to throw at it, but why. I kinda like to do very little to get optimal performance, then step it up a little at a time so it's another game. Otherwise I would just buy one setup by Trs, burandt, vohk etc...
Essentially I take what is avaliable, test it, see if I can make it better, then let everyone know.
Some of you guys are so bitter. I'm serious about riding though, I'd love to see what you bring to the table and you can test what I did. Good times.
I'm not brand loyal and have all the sleds, so why the defensive attitude.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Wyo you are correct about the pro handling bad. Maybe some don't know what a well setup sled handles like. I ride a polaris pro chassis.
I had to do quite a bit of setup but I ain't telling what.
At first, it just felt wrong. Like something wasn't right. I was doing more clutching and gearing at the time so the ride wasn't top priority. After progress on clutching I got to ride a bit, adjust and then back in the shop then out again for more adjusting. It isn't perfect yet but I specifically remember after the last adjustment hitting the trees and it was like the clouds parted and the sun came out. The ride was that much better by about 50 %. Not done yet and now I have to wait till next yeAr, meanwhile forgettin all the small things I did to it over the coming summer.
Cheers handsome!!

Last edited:

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Are you running a 36" front end on your Cat? It really could be a simple as that. Try running the same width on your Pro. Your Cat is pretty tricked out and they will never feel the same but you should be able to get it to where you want it. Zbros makes a good front end kit for 36"...at least I was told it was a good kit.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I came off a 12 Cat, stock, ordered a 13 Pro and couldn't ride it. Shocks bottomed on the smallest bump, etc. I was told that it would take 4 or 5 rides to "get it" but I never did, gave up and sold it at 277 miles. That sled rode me, I didn't ride it. It chucked me off more times than I can count. I was also told that foot placement is crucial, you have to ride feet back, but I like to ride feet forward a lot. Just didn't suit me.
Buddy here went from a 12 Pro to a 15 Terrain Dom, he doesn't like the handling, wishes he had his old sled back. I think the piggy shocks are the culprit there.
Another buddy has a 2013 and a 2014 Pro for he and his wife. One has Carls valved shocks, the other stock, and he says the difference is night and day. He really noticed that when rolling back and forth, it doesn't stop and "stick" in the flat position between carves, it rolls more like a boat.
Hope that helps.
Chris

Pine-sol

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Wyoboy- to compare a stocker to your tuned to you set up cat- not really fair. It's apples to oranges. Doesn't matter what brands. Set up to you will beat stocker in your favorite areas all the time.
With that being said, I believe the pro is the best stocker, but it does need to be tuned & set up to get all you can out of it.
Just a couple of things I've done to mine that I've found beneficial. 1st. A D/R- makes sled come up on edge easier & keep it there. Plus raises sled for less drag on steep side hills. 2nd. A 36" front end. Raises front, enhances tippiness, evens sled out from d/r. Up to you as swaybar or no. 3rd. Airframes, once again up to you which version, but any of them raise the boards up from stock position. Less drag, better side hill.
As already stated shocks need to be replaced or revalved, other decisions to be made before that decision is made though ( front end). 4th. The footloops need to be moved up. Depending on boards you put on, but I've moved mine up to the center of the mounting bolts. Gives you more room to operate on the sled, while also not snapping your ankle.
You asked for examples, I've given you some that I & others from a decent riding group have found to be a noticeable & enhancing benefit.
Now this is just chassis set up. We'll leave clutching, gearing, track & engines to another post.
In no way am I trying to be a smart ***. Just sharing. Hope this helps in giving you a direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Check your inbox..

Just come ride with me then, I'm just asking you guys for help the same way I help others to get the best. Why would I drop that kind of money not knowing, my mods are very strategic and for a specific reason. If someone asks me what to do I find out what they want and tell them where to start and depending on money and how far to go, along with what to do first.
Like what TRS did, and I would take his and dustins opinion first anyway, but wanted to get info to check options because, why not.
I have the money to throw at it, but why. I kinda like to do very little to get optimal performance, then step it up a little at a time so it's another game. Otherwise I would just buy one setup by Trs, burandt, vohk etc...
Essentially I take what is avaliable, test it, see if I can make it better, then let everyone know.
Some of you guys are so bitter. I'm serious about riding though, I'd love to see what you bring to the table and you can test what I did. Good times.
I'm not brand loyal and have all the sleds, so why the defensive attitude.
PM'd you.

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
Put skidoo ski rubbers in mine. Really feel like I'm a handicapped rider with the stock whimpy bumpers in the spring snow...also had powder pros on my 11 and they were more my style.

Also running a peak track that will make the front end lighter when you need it.

Drilled the front torque arm mounts back 3/4" and left the rear mount stock. Making for a better approach angle and keeping the lift in check with the more aggressive track.

I would start by playing around with skid location if shock and spring settings don't cut it.
12 assault

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Reality check.

Sell the Pro (or give it away, whatever floats your ride and bankroll).

Start over with the Axys you're buying. If you've tried the basic adjustments on the Pro, and still have such a huge gap, and TRS who you have ridden with can't close it more for you, you are much better off putting time, or money, into a new chassis than the old.

If I was experimenting with someone else's money, and already had a 15 Summit SP, a stock Axys on order, a modded 14 M, and a 15 Pro that rides like crap, I would dump the Pro and get a 16 M800. Just a hunch the tuffrubberballs guys finally got miss piggy figured out, and since you can't demo an Axys vs. a 16 M, buy both.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I'm not comparing my cat to a stocker and saying wtf this is bs, I'm saying, ok I modded my cat to do this, now how do I make the pro do it to? Make sense.

Trs and dustin has the clutching nailed so no worries there.

My cat had stock 38 arms. If you go narrower it effects the downhill side hill ability and panel out. On the axys's you can lay it on its side and the only thing touching is the ski handle bar and rear bumper, the 16 cat lays on its panels.

What are you talking about with A D/R?

Thanks for the ideas,

I'll prob just get dustins setup to finish the year and make a few other suggested changes that work for me.

Ski lift is a problem as there isn't any without trying. I hate the track. I've got a 2.6 pc sitting here so it's prob going on it.

I am getting a 16 m8 along with the axys, after looking at the axys I've kinda come to the conclusion I'm buying the cat to support the dealer because it's going to need some serious changes to even be equal. But it will be fun to see.

Thanks

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Are the springs set up to the factory service manual settings for your weight. It can sound really stupid, but it makes a HUGE difference.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I don't see the brand bashing some of you are worried about - seemed like a legit question.

I agree on the ski lift (i.e. lack thereof). My 2011 with the tipped up rails lofted the skis much easier and I do miss that. That said, the 2015 climbs better. The 2.4" is definitely not helping with ski lift either - I would think a 2.6" PC would be a step in the right direction for that (since you have one).

Also agree with outlaw - RTS spring should be set for weight, and if you like a lighter front end, run the FTS with about 1" of threads showing. If it has clickers, don't go nuts on the rebound setting and go pretty soft on the front springs, as the springs are stiff to start with. Just M.O.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I had a 12 pro for two years. It took Raptors and zbroz narrow arms to make it work for my riding style. I then modded my 14 cat up alot and had more of a blast on it. same with my 15 cat. If you keep the pro id do raptors or some good fox shocks on it. I think the front end happy feeling that cat finally got right is why I liked my cats over my pro. But i have a ton of money into my cats like wyo does. Wyoboy1000 is a great rider and has all 3 chassis but yet only rides the cat when I ride w him. Its all in what you like and no one can tell you different. That said Im prob jumping ship back to the axys after seeing them in person yesterday. Get to ride the 16 cat tomorrow to confirm.

Premium Features