• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carbides causing bent A arms some more than others?

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
We are now building them in a titanium version. Waiting for material to show but should have them in stock by December. As stated before, IMO carbides have no place on a mountain sled and serve no purpose other than to keep the rest of the bar from wearing. I have personally seen more than I care to count bent S mods on XP a arm sleds, Nuns on Revs, and Trailing arm failures due to cattle guard crossings and rocks with carbides. Brand new sleds are terrible for this. Just as a simple safety factor, im with the guys to at least grind the sharp edge off. A normal grinding wheel will not work, a special wheel needs to be used for carbide, usually green in color. Thanks!
Dan

H

HOTRODREDNECK

Oct 28, 2008
COLORADO
We are now building them in a titanium version. Waiting for material to show but should have them in stock by December. As stated before, IMO carbides have no place on a mountain sled and serve no purpose other than to keep the rest of the bar from wearing. I have personally seen more than I care to count bent S mods on XP a arm sleds, Nuns on Revs, and Trailing arm failures due to cattle guard crossings and rocks with carbides. Brand new sleds are terrible for this. Just as a simple safety factor, im with the guys to at least grind the sharp edge off. A normal grinding wheel will not work, a special wheel needs to be used for carbide, usually green in color. Thanks!
Dan

make sure you post when you have these ready to sell. count me in for a pair. i have torn up several/alot of a arms on my pro that i feel were directly related to the carbides.think its a great idea to have a strong lightwieght runner.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Just send them out and have them heat treated and leave the alfa case on. I bet you will not be able to sand them with a belt sander! Better yet make the runner tear drop shape to reduce weight even more, shorten up the stud lg's and the inner bent up edge in the front. Basically just as light as possible!

Mike

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
make sure you post when you have these ready to sell. count me in for a pair. i have torn up several/alot of a arms on my pro that i feel were directly related to the carbides.think its a great idea to have a strong lightwieght runner.
Will do. I have them for the Doo pilot skis, just need to get a hold of some for the grippers. Tried several times last week, and again today to post pics, but for some reason for me its hit and miss on this site. Any who I know how we all like pics so ill see what I can do. Thanks!
Dan

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Doesnt titanium spark bright? Like the lowrider guys put titanium bars on their cars so when they hit the bags or hydraulics it shoots bright sparks behind.

Would be sweet crossing a road at night or hitting rocks on the trail

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
Man you guys are tough on a guy! Sorry that pic is of the Doo pilot skis bars. Saves 1/2lb per set. comes with Ti nuts metric 8mm 1.25. Im not sure when ill have them for the grippers. I don't advertise them on the site, as they were a custom project but do plan to do them for the Poo skies. Ill do them in my "spare time" . Soon. If I had a guy to send me a new one to pattern off of would speed things up. Thanks!
Dan

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Man you guys are tough on a guy! Sorry that pic is of the Doo pilot skis bars. Saves 1/2lb per set. comes with Ti nuts metric 8mm 1.25. Im not sure when ill have them for the grippers. I don't advertise them on the site, as they were a custom project but do plan to do them for the Poo skies. Ill do them in my "spare time" . Soon. If I had a guy to send me a new one to pattern off of would speed things up. Thanks!
Dan

Want the Gripper ski too or just the wearbar? I can get whatever you need in the mail tomorrow.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
Doesnt titanium spark bright? Like the lowrider guys put titanium bars on their cars so when they hit the bags or hydraulics it shoots bright sparks behind.

Would be sweet crossing a road at night or hitting rocks on the trail
Yep bright. Little trivia.. the real bright white sparks from a firework are titanium. See ya learn something new every day. Thanks!
Dan

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Just the bar would work as longs as they are new. If not new the whole ski would be nice but you know they'll bend ya ova on shipping.

I'll get a set in the mail, USPS is much more cost effective from / to AK than the alternatives. (no pun intended)

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Just the bar would work as longs as they are new. If not new the whole ski would be nice but you know they'll bend ya ova on shipping.

Speaking of bends... Be sure not to come up short on the radius of the bends on the wear bar. One of the many past sets I've had were not bent enough and it can cause some big problems catching on things loading and unloading when there is a flat 90 degree transition spot to get caught on things.
With steel I took them off and bent them appropriately, with titanium...well I'm not sure how that would go.

Count me in for a set

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
Speaking of bends... Be sure not to come up short on the radius of the bends on the wear bar. One of the many past sets I've had were not bent enough and it can cause some big problems catching on things loading and unloading when there is a flat 90 degree transition spot to get caught on things.
With steel I took them off and bent them appropriately, with titanium...well I'm not sure how that would go.

Count me in for a set
Will do. Yea I know exactly what your saying. Made sure with the Pilot bars they were tucked in far enough in the front. Thanks!
Dan

Premium Features