• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Better Option for Backing Up with Scratchers than the Stockers

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Can you back up in really deep soft snow without them bending?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Do you have pic with the hooks installed and the scratchers in the hooks? How muchy?

lorne1176

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2010
Red Deer, AB
I can post some when I get a chance to take a picture. I've also heard of guys backing their sleds into trailers with them down and no breakage or bending.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
Here is a picture of the reversible scratchers mounted with the new hooks for this season.

e7y8yqe4.jpg

uje3yru7.jpg

The scratcher stows without the brackets on most sleds except there seems to be a issue with the XM due to the wider profile of the rail by the brackets are included with every new set.

M

milo303

Sep 16, 2011
Littleton
Ha wish I had those new brackets before I drilled holes in my skid

Love the scratchers, probably going to have to get another set for the ladies sled

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Yes, new style hooks come with them. Mine did fall of the rails a couple of times on my ProRMK. I installed last years hooks. No drilling was required because there was already a hole in the rail in the perfect spot when they are mounted in the stock location.

https://www.gobigparts.com/ICE-STORM-REVERSIBLE-SCRATCHER-BY-OVER-THE-TOP-PERFORMANCE.html

I wanted to make clear that new future sets will come with the new style hooks. My first shipment did not have them. I have a new shipment on the way they does have the new hooks.

Last edited:

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
OK the video shows it backing up on pretty much hard pack what about off trail in softer snow or spring snow? Lots of people ride with there scratchers down all the time or are these pretty much just for hard pack use?

C
Apr 17, 2013
alberta
I'm guessing they will dig in if u go backwards in deep snow.

I wouldn't want them down anyways if I'm not on the trail

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I intentionally ran them in powder during the testing stages and they did not break. Not saying they won't but mine did not. If you mount them with front tip mounted on top of the rail the scratcher spring will rotate 180 degrees and therefor won't bend or break if the snow is deep enough. Hope that helps.

They also throw up substantially more snow than the traditional scratchers which enable more cooling.

M

milo303

Sep 16, 2011
Littleton
I intentionally ran them in powder during the testing stages and they did not break. Not saying they won't but mine did not. If you mount them with front tip mounted on top of the rail the scratcher spring will rotate 180 degrees and therefor won't bend or break if the snow is deep enough. Hope that helps.

They also throw up substantially more snow than the traditional scratchers which enable more cooling.

Ya I agree, they throw up WAY more snow... That's the most impressive feature imo.

Ya they're designed to be able to use in reverse but I'm going by the same rules as I treated regular scratchers but I figure if I forget to raise them, I'm good. But I personally do not run with them down unless they need to be down.

Thanks again for the scratchers Summitseeker

N
Jan 23, 2008
Fargo, ND
Paul - You weren't fully clear - do I need you to sell off the ones you have first in inventory before I order if I want those clips? Or do even the ones you have, are you shipping clips with them as well?

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
If you ride anything else besides a Ski-doo XM, you do not need the brackets but you can still use them if you like as the do make your scratchers easier to stow when not in use.

Go Big Parts has extra mounting brackets in transit to them to cover any existing inventory.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Ice Storm Reversible Scratchers

Just some positive feedback on these scratchers:

Like others have said they definitely throw up more snow / ice than stock. I rode last weekend with my son(7 yrs. old) in less that stellar conditions & they managed to keep my temps. in check(125 to 135F) on the trail even though I was barely maintaining 20 MPH. I'd typically see 150 F + in those conditions.

Not sure how effective they'll actually be at not bending when backing up over rough terrain but they are one more upgrade that the venerable Pro RMK cooling system could use.

Thanks Randy!

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
I have these on my 2015 switchback assault and they work great! I had a problem with a stripped bushing/bolt out of the package but they sent me a new set for free, love these things and the guys are great to deal with!

Frank

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I too have a set on my Pro / 163 with an X3 and they work great!!!!!

Running down several different trails, some being packed more then others and the highest temps I've seen so far, has been 129 degrees on a steady run. Most of the time it's in that 125 to 127 for a normal trail at normal speeds.

As far as the reverse feature, this does work very well too. in the parking lot or on the trail, I have not had one issue with using reverse.

These will now be one of those automatic purchases when a new sled arrives!!

Premium Features