• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

POO PRO 800 engine?

Will the PRO's 800 engine last?

• YES

Votes: 352 71.5%
  • NO

Votes: 140 28.5%

• Total voters
T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
Polaris is sending me a new factory motor, Should have my sled back next week making the total down time less then 10 days.

8emup

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Utah
I guessing my dealer sold 25 to 30 sleds they said only one motor down. The big issue for them broken clutch springs which was 6 to 7 broken springs over the year. I think these guys are very honest to me and they are very happy about how few issues they had with the sleds this season.

N
Feb 9, 2009
My motor went down yesterday up in Canada. Had around 1200 miles on it. One cylinder and maybe the crank. Good reason to order a new one I guess.

trevormezz

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2010
Elk Grove CA
TO ADD TO THAT 10% NUMBER THEY WERE TRYING TO QUOTE. POLARIS QUOTED THAT 90% OF ALL OF THERE SLEDS THIS YEAR HAVE NOT HAD ANY WARRANTY CLAIMS FILED AGAINST THEM. THAT MEANS 10% OF ALL OF THE 2011 POLARIS SLEDS HAVE HAD SOME SORT OF WARRANTY CLAIM. NOT JUST MOTORS ALL WARRANTY CLAIMS. AND YES THAT IS THE LOWEST CLAIM AMOUNT OUT OF ALL OF THE MANUS. THATS WHY THEY ARE POSTING AND TALKING ABOUT THAT NUMBER. BECAUSE IT IS A GOOD NUMBER TO BRAG ABOUT AND A GOOD PERCENTAGE.

SS 155 dragon

Premium Member
Mar 29, 2009
Oregon
2011 PRO RMK Seized

While friend was with others going around 25 mph, sled came to a sudden stop which almost sent him over handlebars. Tried to start with key and pull start but it's froze up tight. Sled is a SnowCheck Silver 155 with 813 miles. It has only bogged out once while coming off side hilling and landed in a ditch of 4 to 5 feet of snow, but once we got him out of the ditch it has ran great until it froze. Will update later once the dealer finds out the cause.:face-icon-small-sad

C

C S Fever

Aug 30, 2009
Saskatoon,SK.
My Buddy just got back from riding down to Roseau to get a picture of his sled (800 Switch Assault) at its birthplace and now has over 2500 miles on his sled and he is loving it! Picked up fuel all along the way and the only sled that didn't have any issues on the way down and back. By the way he was riding with a bunch of skuds.

S

snow4me

Dec 22, 2007
My motor went down yesterday up in Canada. Had around 1200 miles on it. One cylinder and maybe the crank. Good reason to order a new one I guess.

I'd make your dealer give you an assembled long block, not build you one with new parts themselves.

B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT
It's a sled....so you're definetly going to have some motors go down from any of the big 3 manufacturers.

That said, I think we would have seen a bunch of problems already if this motor was going to be a weak one.

i hope POO is finally getting thier act together on the 800 motors, three out of five riding buddies on 09 and newer RMKs have been out a sled while thiers is getting a new engine. One was on his fourth engine so he took it to another shop and had wiseco pistons and a power comamnder put in it. Now polaris wont pay for the fix ( which i told him would happen since a polaris shop didnt fix it). Either way i can tell you most of the group i ride with has a bad taste in our mouth on POO 800s because we are always either pulling them out, or have no one to ride with due to sleds being in the shop. I have heard good things about the new motors tho, one of my customers owns a polaris shop and he claims not to many issues on the new one. Untill i know for sure tho ill stick with the m8.

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado
TTT! Cmon lets see some posts of blown engines and who built em. The nightshifts wish I was out partying instead, or daytimes shouldnt have partied so hard last night!? My money is on more daytime failures then night.

i would also like to know what engine that are
going down??

Are they A Block or B Block

A -- Means Day Shift

B --- Means Night Shift..

This is found on the crank case in the front..

L
Apr 30, 2010
N/E AB
For all it"s worth where I live we have big frozen flat smooth rivers, I held the wife's assault to the bar for near 80 miles last week, no ****! A few blips for corners and it ran flawless. 115 on speedo and 111 on gps consistantly bone stock, I love this motor and chassis combo. Thats got to be the the ultimate test, I'm not kidding some where along the way I expected it to puke, it didn"t. The guy"s with me said WTF r u doing, no one wanted to abuse their sleds like that. Also had 1/4 tank of fuel left when done, I couldn't beleive it. There was a dog sled race the week before followed the trail and conditions were hard packed with enough loose snow for coolant n lube.

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
I dont think I will ever set foot in Alpine Motorsports ever again... They were arrogant asses to a couple of budds in my riding group that had asked a couple of questions on exhausts. We even had a guy that was looking and thinking about buying a M1000 till that event.... Ohh well their loss!

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Because Polaris has yet to build a reliable 800cc class motor.

800 big blocks had crank issues
900's speak for themselves
800cfi's are nearing 900 status w/ electrical, piston clearance and mapping issues

Had issues with my 2000 800 (crank) fixed it twice then bought my 900,hmm
now at 3900m+ have piston issue on a 2 year sled.

11 years for the 800 and it still not right!! I think it has surpassed the 9 in unreliability.:scared: Togwotee I hear has nine Pros down this year.
A few more from lodge down south???

There all POS's waitin to break RIDE EM like you stole EM.

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado
Yeah I kind of got that impression last time I was there. I wasnt there to spend big money on a turbo or one of his ported engine set-ups so they kind of just kicked me under the door. If they only knew... Ill never go back

I dont think I will ever set foot in Alpine Motorsports ever again... They were arrogant asses to a couple of budds in my riding group that had asked a couple of questions on exhausts. We even had a guy that was looking and thinking about buying a M1000 till that event.... Ohh well their loss!

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Because Polaris has yet to build a reliable 800cc class motor.

800 big blocks had crank issues
900's speak for themselves
800cfi's are nearing 900 status w/ electrical, piston clearance and mapping issues

Hmmm, I had an '01 800 RMK with about 4500 miles on it when I sold it with no engine issues. Now it has close to 6000 and still no engine issues. I'm also coming to the end of season #6 on my '06 900 RMK and it's NEVER let me down. It's had a tow strap hooked onto it a few times, but always the back end towing 800 Doos out. Personally, I'm not concerned at all to be snowchecking a new Pro. Sure, there's a chance it may have issues, but all brands do from time to time. The absolute best way to avoid problems with sleds is to take up knitting in the winter. Don't blow things out of proportion just because you're one of the unfortunate individuals that has had issues.

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Hmmm, I had an '01 800 RMK with about 4500 miles on it when I sold it with no engine issues. Now it has close to 6000 and still no engine issues. I'm also coming to the end of season #6 on my '06 900 RMK and it's NEVER let me down. It's had a tow strap hooked onto it a few times, but always the back end towing 800 Doos out. Personally, I'm not concerned at all to be snowchecking a new Pro. Sure, there's a chance it may have issues, but all brands do from time to time. The absolute best way to avoid problems with sleds is to take up knitting in the winter. Don't blow things out of proportion just because you're one of the unfortunate individuals that has had issues.

For some reason I think the 01 800 was more reliable than the 02 and newer VES motors. I liked my 01.

N

normyt

Aug 23, 2010
2011 PRO RMK Down

Had buudy's pro go down on weekend. Same symptoms as on 2009 RMK had( 4 motors). PTO cylinder gone.Was able to limp home. Nothing has changed. Polaris promoting new sleds and haven't even fixed problems with older versions. That makes me want to buy a new one (not).

Premium Features