• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lemon Law on a sled?

C
Dec 24, 2014
Does this apply? Anybody ever get a sled replaced this way? My Pro has been back 4 times for the same poor running condition. How many times do I have to bring in my new under warranty sled for the same issue? I know the tech is trying but he has yet to exorcise this gremlin. My concern is that now he is starting to throw parts at it, plugs twice and a fuel filter, none of which helped and I suspect they want me to pay for them. It has 4 yrs warranty but I was going to sell it in December for a new one anyway. Going to be impossible to sell if it wont run right...

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Does your state title snowmobiles or just register them? If no title then for sure it's a non-starter on a Lemon Law claim. If titled, then you at least have a start of a path to work down.

You might ask the Polaris dealer to escalate it to dealer support at Polaris. I have had 2 buddies with issues that the local dealer couldn't figure out so they escalated to the Polaris tech line and they finally figured it out.

sled_guy

C
Dec 24, 2014
Does your state title snowmobiles or just register them? If no title then for sure it's a non-starter on a Lemon Law claim. If titled, then you at least have a start of a path to work down.

You might ask the Polaris dealer to escalate it to dealer support at Polaris. I have had 2 buddies with issues that the local dealer couldn't figure out so they escalated to the Polaris tech line and they finally figured it out.

sled_guy

Sled is titled, new this year for Colorado.

It is all going through Polaris, just taking some time. The tech called me yesterday and told me Polaris was having him replace the TPS and a wiring harness. Hopefully it will be ready for another on snow test next weekend. At least nobody is trying to deny the problem, and lucky for me it is happening as the season winds down. Just considering my options...

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
A lousy position to be in. I had a similar situation with a 2013 XM that I bought for reliability! Sled kept going into limp mode. Large, supposedly competent dealership. Swapped a bunch of parts but not sure they ever got it. After the 4th attempt I sold it with full disclosure to an optimistic Ski-doo loyalist. My research on the lemon law indicated it would be possible to apply to a sled and if I recall correctly you had to give them at least 4 attempts at repair. I'm not a lawyer, so for what it's worth. Sure can be frustrating.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Does this apply? Anybody ever get a sled replaced this way? My Pro has been back 4 times for the same poor running condition. How many times do I have to bring in my new under warranty sled for the same issue? I know the tech is trying but he has yet to exorcise this gremlin. My concern is that now he is starting to throw parts at it, plugs twice and a fuel filter, none of which helped and I suspect they want me to pay for them. It has 4 yrs warranty but I was going to sell it in December for a new one anyway. Going to be impossible to sell if it wont run right...

I've worked for gm for 25 years or so and have only seen one vehicle successfully get gm to take back a lemon law vehicle, you would be very surprised of how these laws work. first they do not just give you a new vehicle , they refund your money minus miles and deprecation. the guy I saw do it couldn't qualify for a new loan so he rode the bus home that day . good luck but I don't think you will be successful. I'd do like others have said and escalate the case to Polaris corporate.

C
Dec 24, 2014
I've worked for gm for 25 years or so and have only seen one vehicle successfully get gm to take back a lemon law vehicle, you would be very surprised of how these laws work. first they do not just give you a new vehicle , they refund your money minus miles and deprecation. the guy I saw do it couldn't qualify for a new loan so he rode the bus home that day . good luck but I don't think you will be successful. I'd do like others have said and escalate the case to Polaris corporate.

YOU may have only seen it happen once but it happens hundreds of times everyday. I've never been in a GM vehicle that didn't need lemon lawing LOL and I have had a dozen of them...

It IS in Polaris hands. That is the ONLY way warranty works is with the manufacturers approval. They simply hand down orders to the dealer. The dealer does what they suggest because that is the only way he gets paid. I happen to know exactly how it works on a vehicle, I was just curious if anybody had gone through it with a sled.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
I don't mean to piss you off but I don't think there are any lemon laws concerning sleds, as far as I know it's just for cars and trucks , and on those the requirement's are very strict, maybe Polaris will offer you a some kind of a buy back or trade incentive due to the problems you have had . p/s lemon law buy backs by the manufacturer are very very rare and probably don't equal 200 units a year for the whole corporation . good luck

C
Dec 24, 2014
I don't mean to piss you off but I don't think there are any lemon laws concerning sleds, as far as I know it's just for cars and trucks , and on those the requirement's are very strict, maybe Polaris will offer you a some kind of a buy back or trade incentive due to the problems you have had . p/s lemon law buy backs by the manufacturer are very very rare and probably don't equal 200 units a year for the whole corporation . good luck

200 a year would be very very rare? That is one a day for 2/3 rds of the year...

Getting a trade incentive would be GREAT but, chances are they finally have the sled fixed. Takes them forever to get through their process but they finally replaced the faulty TPS sensor this week after four visits over 5 weeks. I will snow test it this weekend to verify.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Still not right, not even close. Worse than ever if that is possible. Just when you think it is going idle normally, it changes like you flicked a switch and will barely run.

Going back to the dealer for visit number 5, same issue...

C
Dec 24, 2014
Dropped the sled back off at dealer. They are at a loss. The problem is obvious, the solution elusive. I have sent an email to Polaris, time to escalate this.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Back to the dealer today. They are going to replace the fuel pump. I seriously doubt this is the solution. It faulters like you flipped a switch. It is fine one second and running bad the next. I would think excess fuel would gradually drag it down.

Premium Features