• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many miles is too much on a 600 pro

mountain_tamer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Rimbey, Alberta
Looking at buying my wife a 600 pro and we have found a few used ones that were rental sleds.

They have about 5000 miles on them.

Is this something that I am going to end up having issues with, if the sleds have been gone through and maintenance done will the 600 go for many more miles?

Thanks

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I'd be a wee bit scared to purchase a 5,000 mile sled whether it is an 800 or a 600 especially with the price of Polaris shortblocks being $4,400 to $4,800. If it was a Doo I'd be less paranoid if the chassis is clean you can find a rotax shortblock for next to nothing ~$1500.00.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Looking at buying my wife a 600 pro and we have found a few used ones that were rental sleds.

They have about 5000 miles on them.

Is this something that I am going to end up having issues with, if the sleds have been gone through and maintenance done will the 600 go for many more miles?

Thanks

There should be lots of trouble free miles left in it with that mileage as the 600 engine is a really strong engine. I put way more miles than that on my sleds before replacing the top end but I warm them up properly etc. A rental might not receive the same treatment. Depending on what was done for maintenance there shouldn't be any real problems other than usual wear items. Maybe check the spider button clearances in the primary clutch along with cleaning of the clutch as I'm not sure if a rental outfit would do that sort of maintenance. While your at it check for wear on weights and rollers although that shouldn't be an issue.
If it was me I wouldn't be afraid to buy it if the price was right. Any time you buy a used sled it's kind of a risk.

J
Feb 13, 2009
Park City, UT
Rental fleet managers know when to get rid of them to maximize their return on investment. The first 5k are likely relatively trouble free. The next 5k likely won't be. It will be hard to sell down the road.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
In my rental business I run my 600's to 7000-8000 miles before selling. Two years ago is the first time I ever had a 600 engine failure (crank issue at 3800 miles). This is in 50 plus sleds. I know one Jackson rental company that ran 6to over 12,000 on the original pistons before any failed. I would be more excited about a standard model than a pro model. The pro model has one cooler and likely has been overheated more times than the standard model with two coolers.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
I have 7095 on my '12 600 144" and I just bought it a year ago used and it had 2525 when I bought it. I ran APV oil most of the winter because it was the cheapest full synthetic oil here.
Cylinders were marked pto mag respectively so I think it was rebuilt b4. But the engine has been flawless for me. Might be down on compression a bit but I usually don't change them until they blow. This I might just do it with oem pistons if I'm bored enough this summer.

Premium Features