• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help with disc brake removal!

C

crossfire879

Oct 21, 2010
Alberta, Canada
When I changed my caliper bearings this fall the track shaft was seized in there so bad I had to take the 5 nuts off and get the whole housing out through the hole in tunnel and put the S O B in a press.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Do you have the Diamond drive out of the sled or did you just open it up and pull the gears out of it? And yeah, the shaft is not easy to get out of the sled, A BIG hammer and a Piece of 4x4 post or something soft to hit with your hammer. The shaft has to be driven out on every one I have ever taken apart.

Jan 28, 2010
Maple Grove,MN
Has the track shaft just slipped out the brake side bearings on every sled you have done this on? All I know from experience is that the track shaft can seize inside the bearing race and make it a ton more work than would otherwise be necessary. Sometimes the nut needs to be replaced and if the shaft is seized you can easily add a few hours to your project.

They do not always slip out smoothly. I have not come across any that were seized on the bearing however. I have had some that were rusted a bit but some lube and a deadblow usually takes care of the problem. For the nut, I like to take a small punch and relieve the pressure on the indent. For really stubborn shafts, an air hammer with a flat anvil works well also to break any rust free.

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
They do not always slip out smoothly.

Lube and a deadblow usually takes care of the problem.

For the nut, I like to take a small punch and relieve the pressure on the indent.

For really stubborn shafts, an air hammer with a flat anvil works well also to break any rust free .

I think you made my point.

I am not saying that it is a bad idea to remove the shaft to check the bearings and whatnot, but if you are JUST changing the track it is quite a bit more simple to unbolt the brake caliper, tip the shaft down, and pull the track out.

Either way you go will work. Good luck!

greenspeed

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Anchorage, AK
Seeing as I've been working on changing out my bulkhead on my 07 m8. I've encountered every stubborn nut, bolt, ect known to exist.

It took me about 20 mins with a brass punch and a hammer, resulting in the need for a bigger hammer just to get that nut off.

Driveshaft ended up becoming victim to said larger hammer and me not giving a **** cause it pissed me off. The nut itself wasn't the issue for me...the driveshaft took over an hour to get out :(

GottaBWest

Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2009
Does BDX sell the brake side bearings?

Hey guys. So i've struggled with my sled long enough now that I know I am going to have to buy the bdx trackshaft nut tool. I was hoping BDX would have the two brake side bearings but can't find them on their website. Anybody know if they carry those bearings?

GottaBWest

Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2009
Anybody have the old style nut tool they can sell or burrow me in the Minnesota twin cities area. I am having a h@ll of a time getting that nut off... BDX doesn't sell the old tool, they will only sell the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features