• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alternative impact 36" M-chassis a arm kit

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
The time for procrastination is over!I ordered the 36 1/2" A Arms from Dan yesterday.

The sled is finally in the shop and up on the lift. Today, after I get home from buying another dang vintage sled, it's pulling off the skid plate, A arms and spindles. The shocks will be shipped to Andy Youngstrom to be shortened to 16 1/2". I just wanted to check on the steering rod length. I see anywhere from 9 7/8" to 10 1/8" for length. I would sure love to have one number to use (maybe 10") but, I understand it may vary from sled to sled. To complicate matters, I have 07 spindles on my 09 sled. So, I will play it by ear.

Is there any new info regarding these A arms? I sure hope you guys still like them and actually prefer them over the stock width. Right?

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
After getting my air shocks shortened I will be trimming another 1/8" off my rods. I'm about 1/8" toe in with air shocks. If you want a sled that is very responsive and quick to carve then these arms are for you. I haven't been out much blew my spider but am going again end of January. I really like the new front end as to how quick it responds. It could carve well before but now it's instant.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Im finally back working on mine. I was waiting on a few things.
Is 9 3/4 " the right length for the tie rod tube?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I'm still going with 9 3/4" on a 2010/2011 setup. K2 said he did the same and his worked out perfectly.

As far as long term use, it dried out here but after giving them some extensive daily testing for a few weeks, I can say that there is no variety of pine bark that will remove the powder coat. I tried my best.

K

K2

Dec 5, 2011
Anchorage AK
I'm still going with 9 3/4" on a 2010/2011 setup. K2 said he did the same and his worked out perfectly.

On my '11 that dimension was right on the peso :face-icon-small-hap

.... still not been able to go out and play on it on account of next to no snow here in South Central AK ... http://www.adn.com/article/20150116/alaskas-2014-heat-was-dramatic-federal-climate-center-says

what snow there is the coverage is so thin it's downright dangerous .. http://www.adn.com/video/video-snowboarder-barely-escapes-hatcher-pass-avalanche

http://www.adn.com/article/20150113/risky-business-backcountry-how-survive-avalanche-season :face-icon-small-dis

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks guys, I have everything torn down and I am boxing up the shocks.

Did you guys send in your rear suspension Fox Float to have it "freshened" since the front shocks are being shortened and rebuilt? I am still thinking about it......I had Andy Youngstrom revalve my shocks when I fist bought the sled in 2010. Maybe it's time?

I marked my rods for 10" but, I can make them 9 3/4" easily. So, I am leaving the left handed thread end alone and cutting roughly an inch off the right handed thread end, right?

Also, should both steering rods be the same length? Mine are currently a bit different in length. That may be from me modifying them when going from 09 spindles to 07 spindles.

I also ordered new spindle bolts because one upper and one lower were bent and one was really corroded.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks guys, I have everything torn down and I am boxing up the shocks.

Did you guys send in your rear suspension Fox Float to have it "freshened" while the others are being rebuilt? I am still thinking about it......I had Andy Youngstrom revalve my shocks when I fist bought the sled in 2010. Maybe it's time?

I marked my rods for 10" but, I can make them 9 3/4" easily. So, I am leaving the left handed thread end alone and cutting roughly an inch off the right handed thread end, right?

Also, should both steering rods be the same length? Mine are currently a bit different in length. That may be from me modifying them when going from 09 spindles to 07 spindles.

I also ordered new spindle bolts because one upper and one lower were bent and one was really corroded.

No one takes apart a shock and puts the old oil in (I hope) so anyone putting a spacer in should put new oil in as well.

And yeah, left handed thread taps are hard to find so I just did the right hand side for everything. You have a lathe though right? You can do whatever you want then I guess.

My steering was a little off center too. Not much. But that length I used gives you plenty of room to straighten it out at the ski rods OR the steering center rod. Ideally, you should get your skis centered at the rod coming off the steering post but it's minor little tweaks.......it doesn't really matter. You can still get centered steering using the one off the post or the two at the skis. I couldn't even fit it together and have my skis anywhere near centered at 10". They were all pigeon toed even bottomed out.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
OK, the A arms are installed and the spindles and skis are back on the sled.I am just waiting for my shocks to come back. Do I need to wait for for the shocks to be installed to cut and install the steering rods?

What have you guys found to be the best width to have your skis set with these new narrower A arms? Mine are still set as narrow as possible from being mounted on the stock A arms.

K

K2

Dec 5, 2011
Anchorage AK
For all I know (?) I'd wait 'til the shocks were mounted before cutting the tie rods - unless you're sure Kidwoo's dimensions will work with your '07 spindles.

As far as ski width goes I'm/we're still waiting for snow-machinable snow - my skis though are still set at the narrowest width and that's where i'll start ...

meanwhile, this is the sled side of Turnagain Pass ..

_2015_Jan_22_1926_690651403-3.jpg

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
K2, I feel your pain, we too don't have much snow. It keeps raining all the way to the tops of the mountains.

I agree, I should probably wait until the shocks are mounted before I do any steering rod cutting.

My sled sure looks weird pigeon toed with no steering rods installed.

Thanks for the info.

DSC02426.jpg DSC02435.jpg

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I got a call from Andy at Gas Shock repair and my shocks are done and on their way back. I won't be cutting my steering rods until they show up.

How did you guys keep your skis aimed straight ahead when you marked your steering rods for cutting? I would like to measure to make sure the skis are set as close as possible, with a little toe out before cutting anything.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Sweet CD collection!

The shape of the paralellogram is already defined by upper and lower arm being bolted onto the spindle. You don't need the shocks on to figure out the steering rod length IMO since the shocks just determine where the arm sits in its travel.

As far as figuring out the length, I just took one off, unthreaded both sides and held it up to the two tie rod ends.

We have the same spindles so that length K2 and I are using should work. Cut to 10" and hold it up to see how it looks.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks Kidwoo, however, most of the "CDs" are actually cassette tapes. You should see my vinyl album collection! :)

Your 10" measurement looks close but, I will double and triple check before cutting the steering rods. Hopefully the threads go far enough into the steering rods.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I thought they were cassettes but I didn't want to be rude. :D

And never sell vinyl. Kids these days™ have no idea how good recorded music could sound.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks guys you crack me up!

Yes, I guess my shop gets all the rejects. :face-icon-small-con

Thanks Kidrman, if I mess up I will let you know. I sure hope I don't though.

Premium Features