• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help: 08 M1000 won't start-backfie

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
Help: 08 M1000 won't start-backfie---RECOIL MISSING A PART!?!???

Hey guys n gals. Hoping for some insight here. I tried to start my sled yesterday and it tries to fire, backfires and yanks the rope out of my hand violently.

It does this consistently every three pulls or so, i'm afraid the rope will break if I keep doing it, its bad.

It's a low mile (like under 500) 08 M1000 and the motor is stock except a can.

I started it a few months ago and ran fine, sled is like new, never a problem now this.....

any ideas?

It's been outside a little while, could moisture be an issue? I mean its a sled, they're kinda made for moisture, but still.

Thank You!!

Last edited:

HIDY

Premium Member
Sep 5, 2005
WASHINGTON
Keyway in the flywheel. pull the recoil off and see if the nut is loose it is it sheered the keyway mine did the same thing.

Last edited:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The key is a good check. Also unplug the throttle side harness and try it. Sometimes the throttle safety switch will act up.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
Seems bizzare to have this on such a low mile sled but I'll definately check. It's the weirdest thing I've had happen to a sled. When it tries to fire up it sounds strong, not boggy or anything.
Only fires for a second then exhaust goes" POP!" And rope goes "SNAP!"

Crazy. Hopefully I'll get time this weekend to pull the recoil. Thanks again guys.

TTT

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
Hey guys, I went to try it again today. It's been dry out for a few days so figured worth a shot. It fired up!! I let it run for a few minutes then rode it off the trailer into the barn and it died. Went to restart it and same deal boom SNAP! Cord ripped out of my had again WTF!!

But this time the rope didn't go all the way back in. So I shut off the key so it would t fire, slowly pulled all the rope out to see if it would recoil........nope. Stayed out.

Looks like I'm for sure pulling the recoil off now.

Hey HIDY, did you just have to replace the little key? Or the whole shaft? I'm going to pull the recoil this weekend.

Thanks!!

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
small keyway

should only be a small keyway under the flywheel( small nut middle of crank), replace and go ride. there is some pull as its magnetic to the stator magnets but should once nut removed just pull off in your hands.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
should only be a small keyway under the flywheel( small nut middle of crank), replace and go ride. there is some pull as its magnetic to the stator magnets but should once nut removed just pull off in your hands.

So I pulled off the recoil tonight, holding it in my hand it hangs up trying to get it to suck the rope back in. If I crack the center nut loose then it snaps back in like it should. But it won't when properly tightened down. I'm wondering is this the CAUSE of my problem?? Or the RESULT of another problem?? Is the flywheel behind the recoil cover? (I assume so) I didn't pull anything else off the motor except the recoil itself. Do I need to go farther? Do I Unbolt the part that the recoil grabs?

I may sound stupid here, but just don't want to screw it up. Thanks again!!

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
Just googled it. Is this the key way you are talking about? They shear off before the plastic recoil fails???? Wow

$T2eC16Z,!zoE9s5ngLlkBR(L4+prnw~~60_35.JPG

HIDY

Premium Member
Sep 5, 2005
WASHINGTON
The key way is in the crank and it sits half in the crank and half way in the notch in the center of the flywheel.
The photo is the flywheel.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
So I pulled off the recoil tonight, holding it in my hand it hangs up trying to get it to suck the rope back in. If I crack the center nut loose then it snaps back in like it should. But it won't when properly tightened down. I'm wondering is this the CAUSE of my problem?? Or the RESULT of another problem?? Is the flywheel behind the recoil cover? (I assume so) I didn't pull anything else off the motor except the recoil itself. Do I need to go farther? Do I Unbolt the part that the recoil grabs?

I may sound stupid here, but just don't want to screw it up. Thanks again!!

That is a very common thing for these sleds

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
Very center of the picture of the flywheel you can see the knotch for the keyway. Once you pull the bolt and washer out you can see the keyway. once the flywheel is removed ( you have to pull on it hard as I stated It has magnets inside) you will see the keyway on the crankshaft when you rotate the crank around.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa

I think I'm missing a piece. Hmmmm. Maybe cat for got to put it in eh?

And I pulled the flywheel bolt, can't see the keyway well enough, and that sucker doesn't just come off Ez. Do I need to put a puller on it?? Calling the cat dealer this is rediculous.

Last edited:
Premium Features