• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Two New Happy Face Products

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
That clutch cover is a work of art! Def interested once they go into production.

Machining looks great as always! How did you guys do testing on the bumper? Thats a star nut like they use in bicycle steer tubes, correct? We tried a method like that but it kept pulling out during our testing. Ended up machining a plug that threads into the tube.

43AEE83E-8A89-4AAB-A040-49EF2416D9DD-6824-0000042A4E77CEB1_zps799fbf65.jpg

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
Nice part!!

But why not balance the cover when its manufactured and never have to worry about it.... just get your sheaves balanced.. I like the bronze bushing! It gets pricey replacing the stock bushings.

You guys should make a billet chain case cover!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

D
Oct 13, 2008
Hope the testing goes well. Even if it does not give much of a performance gain it looks killer. Only concern I may have is if could fatigue at all due to the lack of material surrounding the center bushing area. Do you think this is a valid concern or not? I for one hope not.

S.Diddy

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Park City, UT
That clutch cover is a work of art! Def interested once they go into production.

Machining looks great as always! How did you guys do testing on the bumper? Thats a star nut like they use in bicycle steer tubes, correct? We tried a method like that but it kept pulling out during our testing. Ended up machining a plug that threads into the tube.

Yeah that appeared to be a bike star nut to me as well in the bumper, which by how they have their machined inset for the tube juncture looks like a great design. Bicycle star nuts when set properly can be a really effective. And in their case looks like it doesn't need to be torqued to a high load.

I'm still drooling over that clutch cover though!! :)

Fast_XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Having an engineering background there is a lot I like about the clutch cover. The machining is a work of art. Nice job. I too am curious about the fatigue life and wonder if it might be worth a premium to go to 7075 to insure long term reliability. Also, the real question on the weight loss is not how much, but where relative to the center of rotation. Basically, if you removed 125 grams from near the center of the cover and added 25 back in at the edge, you might not gain any benefit in terms of quicker spool up, as the rotational inertia might be similar.
None the less, I like it and would buy it just to save the weight that is dangling on the end of the crank and better cooling. Can you offer it with Ti cover bolts?
Neil

D
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the nice comments on the new products. Just arrived today in Alpine, WY from McCall, ID and have been away from the forum for a few days. Product testing is a lot of work....well maybe not a lot.
We did do a few bumper tests with inserts in the bumper tube but found it not necessary with the way we inserted the tub into the side bracket. It holds the star nut in place and it can't slide out. I tested my HF bumper yesterday towing out a "skidoo" :face-icon-small-sad (14 miles run on road and half a mile out of the tree's) As for the clutch cover I have been loading the (stuff) out of it and have not had any issues. We did 200 miles on another cover last weekend and have one running on a turbo sled in K-Falls Oregon.
If anyone has any questions on the bumpers or clutch covers please feel free to drop me an email. I might be slow to respond until Monday of next week.
Thanks again for the great comments. Have a great week
Dave

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Any feed back from customers or Dlynn, would be great.
How are the clutch covers holding up and how are sledders happy?

Last edited:
D
We have found in a very few cases that some small cracks developed at one of the balancing holes. Not wanting to have any issues with our covers we decided to simply replace them all with a new revised version where we added a little more material at the outer ring location. If you have one of our covers please drop it in the mail and we will install the set screws in the proper location so as not to affect the balancing and return the new cover to you. If you have any question please feel free to give me a call (541-four one nine- 0500 PST) and we can go over any questions you might have.
We are sorry for the inconvenience however we just want to make sure everyone has the best product we can provide.

Last edited:
Premium Features