• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

who has the lightest avy pack?

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
I've done some serious Google searching on this and from what I have found it looks like the abs powder series is the lightest pack on the market. Anyone have any input?

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
several years back when I was looking at which company to go with for our fleet i noticed that the air bag manufacturers seemed optimistic about their weights and usually didn't include the weight of the system charged and ready to ride. Furthermore, when actually testing the weight was less of a factor when compared with how the bag carried the weight. bags with better suspensions and better designed storage could get away with more base weight and then more stored weight. All that said, you might check out this bag. I've been impressed with the idea behind it.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-packs/halo-28-jetforce-BD681302BLAKM_L1.html

sorry i couldn't answer your question directly. I hope you find what you're looking for.

my abs vario can be stripped down quite a bit with just the cover but by no means is it lite.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
When I was shopping just a couple years ago, the BCA throttle was the lightest for it's size (22L), IF ABS can ever get the CF bottle US certified, that would be the lightest system size for size.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
The BCA Float and Throttle 22 and the ABS 24 by Ortovox are darn near the exact same weight. Within ounces of each other, ready to ride sitting in our store. When your looking directly at ABS models though, the Vario is actually the most minimalistic and lightest. The problem that you have with comparing ABS models though is that there are three base units. Vario, Vario Limited, and Powder. Again these are current models, there were other models in years past. The issue seen though is you can have the lightest base system, but still zip on a 32 or 45+5 zip on to that base unit. So then the lightest base system then becomes a very heavy piece if you fill it. Rather than focusing on weight of the bags empty it is more important to figure out what you need to store in the bag, who stores it the best, and is easiest to use for you. Then just not pack them full of unnecessary things that ad weight. The bags empty are all close enough in weight that the noticeable weight will be what you put in the bag, and that shouldn't change depending on what bag you have. Essentials are essentials, and should be carried the same in each option. As we have mentioned before, if you buy a bag that has a ton of storage you tent to fill it, which makes it heavy. Which is why we suggest customers make a list or lay out what they want in the bag, and then judge what size they need at that point. The owner here, runs an 18L version of the Avi-Vest and he is confident he could live and sustain for several days with what is on his body in that limited amount of space.

We are always happy to answer any questions about specifics, we get the opportunity to run many of the bags from year to year, and have run all the current options in the late spring of last year.

Premium Features