• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MM Skid Swap

B
Nov 28, 2007
Pocatello, ID
Hey all I'm getting ready to buy a 2003 Mountian Max 141". I've done quite a bit of research on here because I've never owned a MM or even ridden one. I've always heard these old tripples are bulletproof so when I found a steal of a deal on a used 2003 MM I jumped on it.

So from what I've read it sounds like the skid and track on these sleds are major hunks of junk. I've read a few posts where guys have completely swapped out the skid for a skid from one of the other 3 manufacturers. This seems like the way to go because I want to put a longer track on and lose some weight from the stock setup. I understand the stock skids are heavy pigs.

Would it be easier to swap the skid as opposed to buying a track extension kit, transfer enhancement kit, and possibly an extended chaincase just to make the stock skid be functional? I have no experience swapping skids so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is it possible to do this and how much work would it be? Does one brand's skid work better or will any of the three work?

Sorry for the long winded post. I just hope someone who has experience doing this will chime in. I need to decide if this is something I want to tackle. Thanks for the help guys!

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I've got a 2000 mm and I like it a lot. Mine started as a 151 and I liked it. Added the transfer kit made a big difference. Then added a 159 Polaris series 4 track. Big difference again. In the process of putting a arctic cat float skid in. Mounting appears pretty easy. With the 153 cat rails and the cat arm positioning it will fit in the stock drop bracket and front arm reinforcement plate. Almost thirty pounds off stock.

Big thing though. You better be piped as a stock mountain max won't turn a bigger track too well. Good luck. Modifying your sled is a lot of fun.

M
Nov 26, 2007
It all depends on what you want.
Rail Ext-tunnel ext-MPI X-fer kit-anti ratchet drivers and a 151 challenger will make it a new sled.

Even JUST a Camo challenger, and MPI x-fer kit on those sleds will make a big difference

The stock skid will work just fine, unless you do huge jumps. Or if you want to lose weight, it is a good place to start.

The stock un-piped motor will turn a 151 just fine.

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
I've got a 2000 mm and I like it a lot. Mine started as a 151 and I liked it. Added the transfer kit made a big difference. Then added a 159 Polaris series 4 track. Big difference again. In the process of putting a arctic cat float skid in. Mounting appears pretty easy. With the 153 cat rails and the cat arm positioning it will fit in the stock drop bracket and front arm reinforcement plate. Almost thirty pounds off stock.

Big thing though. You better be piped as a stock mountain max won't turn a bigger track too well. Good luck. Modifying your sled is a lot of fun.

I might think about doing that set-up as well. I might do a Polaris skid but from the sounds of it, it may be easier to do a cat skid!

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Just got the cat skid mounted up in my mountain max. I had to go with some 153 rails to get it where it needed to be with my 159 track. I moved the mounting point for the front arm forward an inch and a quarter. That still puts it in the reinforcement bracket barely. The only thing that is weird is that the front arm on the cat is about an inch narrower so I will have to use some kind of spacer on the front. The rear mounted in the stock drop bracket but not in the stock location. My drop brackets had a hole already in the rear part of them. The skid mounted right into those on the rear.

I had already dropped about thirteen pounds off my skid between the transfer enhancement kit and taking the bogie wheels off. The cat skid still dropped about twenty four pounds off of that. Cat skid only weighed forty two pounds.

Y

yamaha3

Sep 30, 2009
Spearfish, SD
When I got my sled it already had a Polaris Extra-Lite skid 136" and then I extended it out to a 151". That skid is about 20-22 pounds lighter than the stock MM skid. There was a huge improvment in the transfer of the sled. As far as power that 700 has plenty of power to turn that 151 but I did gear it down a couple teeth.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
As far as the power thing goes I didn't mean to make my opinion sound like fact. I ride most of the time between 8 to 10 thousand feet. Even stock length mountain max seems to be a bit underpowered to me at that level. So in my opinion if you are at elevation I think it needs more power with a longer track. JMHO

Feb 19, 2014
Just got the cat skid mounted up in my mountain max. I had to go with some 153 rails to get it where it needed to be with my 159 track. I moved the mounting point for the front arm forward an inch and a quarter. That still puts it in the reinforcement bracket barely. The only thing that is weird is that the front arm on the cat is about an inch narrower so I will have to use some kind of spacer on the front. The rear mounted in the stock drop bracket but not in the stock location. My drop brackets had a hole already in the rear part of them. The skid mounted right into those on the rear.

I had already dropped about thirteen pounds off my skid between the transfer enhancement kit and taking the bogie wheels off. The cat skid still dropped about twenty four pounds off of that. Cat skid only weighed forty two pounds.
Can I ask what kind of spacer was used on the front mount? I'm looking to do the same thing to my Mountain Max. Thanks

Premium Features