• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3.0 pitch 2.25" in stock MM chassis?

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
The Yokohama has finally rotted through on our MM. I found an AC 141 x 2.25 powerclaw take off. Has anyone stuck one of these in a stock MM? I know the 3.0" drivers are larger in diameter, so it will be really snug at best.

Any advise or experiance is appreciated.

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Clarification please

Can you please explain further how this all fits.. Sorry, I'm struggling with the math - here's what I found.

Stock drivers from Yamaha were 8BF-W4753-00-00 which were 8 tooth, and measure 6-3/16" in diameter.

Whals 7 tooth 3.0 pitch drivers measure 6.55" in diameter from there website.

As it is clearance is tight with the stock 2" and drivers.
Given a loss of 1/4" from the drivers, and another 1/4" going to a 2.25" power claw I'm not convinced this will go round.

Any past experiance in this swap is very much appreciated.. Owning a sled with a power claw has made me a believer in them!

Thanks again

B
Jan 26, 2013
your best bet would be to go with a 151" track and 5" rail extensions or a 144" track and set the skid back an inch. The arctic cat track drive is a proprietary drive lug. The way the drive lug is molded in relation to the track windows is special to their track. The drivers for an AC sled are not available to fit a 1 1/16" hex drive axle. It would be a nice swap and go but the parts to do it just don't exist.

There are other things to consider too when changing tracks. While that extra 1/4" lug is enticing you get the lug tips so close to the tunnel that you create windage problems. There needs to be adequate clearance in the tunnel for the air and snow to move through with the track. The engine ends up fighting the drag of the air mass in the tunnel along with the load of the track on the snow. Keeping track speed is better than lug height any day.

The limiting factor to track size on the mtn max is drive axle location and chain case length. You can do what's called a drop and roll which is when you drop the chain case down on the bulkhead so that the jack shaft passes through the tunnel instead of across the top of it. This sets back the axle as the chain case is now rolled more horizontal in the tunnel. The jackshaft is now subject to icing and debris strikes from being in the tunnel instead of on top of it. If you ask me it creates more problems then it solves.

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
your best bet would be to go with a 151" track and 5" rail extensions or a 144" track and set the skid back an inch. The arctic cat track drive is a proprietary drive lug. The way the drive lug is molded in relation to the track windows is special to their track. The drivers for an AC sled are not available to fit a 1 1/16" hex drive axle. It would be a nice swap and go but the parts to do it just don't exist.

There are other things to consider too when changing tracks. While that extra 1/4" lug is enticing you get the lug tips so close to the tunnel that you create windage problems. There needs to be adequate clearance in the tunnel for the air and snow to move through with the track. The engine ends up fighting the drag of the air mass in the tunnel along with the load of the track on the snow. Keeping track speed is better than lug height any day.

The limiting factor to track size on the mtn max is drive axle location and chain case length. You can do what's called a drop and roll which is when you drop the chain case down on the bulkhead so that the jack shaft passes through the tunnel instead of across the top of it. This sets back the axle as the chain case is now rolled more horizontal in the tunnel. The jackshaft is now subject to icing and debris strikes from being in the tunnel instead of on top of it. If you ask me it creates more problems then it solves.
I agree with most of what you said. Except drivers for Cat tracks with a hex shaft do exist. They have for many years: http://www.avid-products.com/eshopp...uct_1726147._quotampquotpitchforhexshafts.htm

Premium Features