• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

weird loud squealing when idiling

A
Feb 23, 2014
Michigan
I was riding my 1994 yamaha vmax 600, and I got off to help my girlfriend turn around on her sled, and i noticed well mine was sitting there it was making a pretty loud squeal, when i pressed the throttle down it seemed to stop and it ran fine, I headed straight back but I stopped once on the way and it was making the squeal again well idling, but made it all the way back to my cabin no problem. Once I got back it still squealed, So i opened the hood up and it seemed like it was coming from the water pump, I had no problems like overheating or anything. I turn it on to run it up onto the trailer and it didnt make any noises well it sat that time but my dad is convinced the water pump is about to go, any suggestions or is that something that doesnt seem like to big of a deal? any input would be appreciated, thank you. :help:

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
I second the tight drive belt. If it is it will usually do it when the clutches and drive belt are fully heat soaked and idling for several minutes. The next time it happens quickly remove drive belt and restart engine.

A
Feb 23, 2014
Michigan
I second the tight drive belt. If it is it will usually do it when the clutches and drive belt are fully heat soaked and idling for several minutes. The next time it happens quickly remove drive belt and restart engine.

Are the drive belt and the Vbelt the same thing?? because it didnt seem like the noise was coming from there, it sounded like it was coming from the water pumps belt or in that area.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I have never seen a Vmax to know if it is exactly the same but I know I have seen that problem alot of times on my Mountain Max's and also on my Nytro. The problem is the secondary clutch is closing too much causing the problem. There are three little bolts that have a head on the end of them that control how much the clutch closes. as the heads of the bolts wear they let the clutch close too far and it makes the belt squeal because it is too tight on the primary clutch.

If you pull the secondary clutch off(it's the bigger of the two and is not the one mounted to the engine) you will look at the back side of the clutch and see three small bolts. The bolts are probably worn out pretty badly. Get three new bolts from your dealer and you should be good. They only cost a couple bucks each so its no big deal.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I have never seen a Vmax to know if it is exactly the same but I know I have seen that problem alot of times on my Mountain Max's and also on my Nytro. The problem is the secondary clutch is closing too much causing the problem. There are three little bolts that have a head on the end of them that control how much the clutch closes. as the heads of the bolts wear they let the clutch close too far and it makes the belt squeal because it is too tight on the primary clutch.

If you pull the secondary clutch off(it's the bigger of the two and is not the one mounted to the engine) you will look at the back side of the clutch and see three small bolts. The bolts are probably worn out pretty badly. Get three new bolts from your dealer and you should be good. They only cost a couple bucks each so its no big deal.

^x2
Back in the day we ran these sleds we kept extra bolts in the tool kit.

A
Feb 23, 2014
Michigan

Thank you I will check this out.

Premium Features