• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do you test the fuel pump on efi M1000

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
I know I've read some where how to test the fuel pump on my 2007 M1000, but don't remember how to do this. Can anyone shed some light.

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
Find the connector coming out of the tank. I believe it is on the right side facing the engine but dont quote me on that. Unplug it and put a test light on the engine side of the connector. From one pin right to the other. Then pull it over, if the light lights there is power and ground to the tank. Then you can use a 12volt battery and put power and ground to the tank side of the connector. With that hooked up you should hear the pump buzz or hum in the tank. If so far so good, then you need to plumb in a fuel pressure gauge and run the pump. I am not sure on the 1000cc PSI spec. If any of the above is missing then follow that lead.

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
Thanks for the help!!! I'll try that tonight. Looked up the Cat pump and Holy X$$$, WOW! Thanks for the option, will go that way if it needs one.

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
tested it?

So I tested the fuel pump and all that happened is a shock or click. No fuel pump action ( not pulsing or anything ) is that what they do or is it bad?? Thanks in advance!

J
May 8, 2009
If you're saying you put 12v power to the connector right at the pump, and the pump didn't run, then yeah, you need a pump.
I made a little harness with spade connectors to hook up my 12v cordless drill battery for whenever I need to test or prime a pump, works awesome.

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Another thing you will want to look at if your fuel pump stopped working/locked up is shine a flashlight in your gas tank. You will likely see a lot of shiny brass flakes in the bottom of the tank, this is from the brass internal gears of the fuel pump. When you go to put a new pump in you should get all of that cleaned up from inside the tank. The brass in the bottom of the tank is usually an indication ahead of time that your fuel pump is going to quit working in the near future FYI

Premium Features