• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 M8

G
Nov 26, 2007
I just bought 2011M8 153 with 2000 miles on it. I am coming off a 2005 M7 that been flawless. What do I need to be aware of as far as problems with this model? How about mods to do?
I am a moderate rider as 73 yrs old and arthritis does that to a person:face-icon-small-hap
Thanks

C
Jan 14, 2012
There is a single row bearing that is prone to fail in the Diamond Drive. Do a search here on the forums on "Diamond Drive Bearing" and/or call Black Diamond Extreme. They will get you set up with a bearing. Or tear apart the Diamond Drive and see if the bearing has been updated.

Keep up on the Diamond Drive oil changes and ride it. Its a great sled.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Other than that potential diamond drive bearing issue, they are similar to the M7 for gas, oil, and go riding. Can and some sort of modification to the running boards to shed snow and ride it. A good suspension revalve is good for anyone. Especially if you feel you are getting a bit on the worn side.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Tieton,Wash
2009 -2011 M steering have high resistance. been told installing the 2007 or earlier spindles will make them steer much easier. Just need to grind down steering stops so you won't lose steering radius

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Congrats on still getting out there and getting after it!

Agree that the dd bearing needs checked if u dont know what is in there.

Also, inspect the primary for cracks in spider and make sure spring isnt broken. I dont think springs were an issue in 2011 but were in 2010.

Oh, and the oil tank cap doesnt fit the best and/or the tank neck is weak cause they warp. I put some duct tape around the grip part of my cap and then installed a hose clamp over that and it allows me to snug it up without warping or jumping threads as u snug it. I tried the aluminum neck insert and like my method better. 2010 M8

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I agree with the recommendations made by the rest of the folks.

At this mileage, I would remove all the shocks and send them to Andy Youngstrom at Gasshockrepair.com in Rigby Idaho. Have him refresh the oil and seals and he can revalve them for a more compliant ride if you would like. He does it very inexpensively and i bet it would be roughly $100 (give or take) shipped to get them all done.

Yes, it's true the 2008 and earlier spindles steer MUCH easier than the 09 and later. I put 07 spindles on my 09 and it feel like it has power steering now. I love it. If you would like, I have a set of very nice 2007 spindles for sale in the swap meet. Heck, I'll even add a link for you.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397577

As the others have said, good for you for still getting out there and tearing it up. I admire you and hope to one day emulate what you are doing. Thanks for being a great role model for all of us.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
oil cap

I did not only the neck insert, but also the RKT cap. The insert by itself wasn't enough to satisfy me as it started to get funny after about a year and a half.

Premium Features