• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 wiseco or re-ring stock?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
OEM or SPI full piston kit! not just a re ring.

X2 what he said! If the rings are actually worn that badly you probably have enough miles on it to start worrying about fatigue on the pistons. You could re-ring them, but if a piston skirt breaks off you could be in for a much more expensive fix than the cost of a couple pistons.

JordanWilliams

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2013
Eastern South Dakota
why not wiseco? just wondering. put a wiseco in my dirtbike and had over 100 hours on it. I know you must let them warm up properly because of cold seize. just curious if they were any better than stock or not. never been a fan of spi...

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Wiseco in a bike, no problem all day long. I don't know why, but they just never jive well with a sled. We use them once in a while, like in a big bore application where you don't have an option, or in a boosted race application because when you have a boost induced failure, they usually don't wreck the cylinders like the cast pistons do. In your case stock is best.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
^^^ what he said. the Wiseco is a real nice quality piston but the oem one is way better for the job and almost all the time less money.

H
Aug 26, 2010
^^^ what he said. the Wiseco is a real nice quality piston but the oem one is way better for the job and almost all the time less money.

You are correct the Wiseco is a very good piston and i've never had a problem with them, you are also correct about the OEM pistons, you are also correct about the cost, just paid 200.00 each for new D&D 901 pistons.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
OEM use cast pistons because they expand and contract closer to the same rate as the cylinders that way they can run closer tolerances without cold seizure issues. It just works best for sled applications so just stick with cast OEM for best results. Back in the old days when we build race motors with forged pistons my boss used to say -- build them loose and give em juice -- longevity was not the object of the game. The pistons would expand so much at race pace that you had to go to the outer limits just to not get seized pistons. Right now we get many times the milage out of motors than what we got back in the good old days.

Premium Features