• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need advice: 09 M8 vs 06 M7 Sno Pro

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
Hi All,

I am looking for a sled for my 15 yr old son, I have around $4k to spend. I need your help on deciding! I really want reverse but the 2.6 PC track and lower miles on the M7 is very tempting too!

I have found 2 sleds: Both are the same price.

09 M8 153 (non sno pro) with 2,200 miles. Is the stock track a 2.25 Power claw? no missing lugs. Comes with 2010 seat and a can.

06 M7 153 Sno Pro (might be an LE) with 900 miles. Comes with a Power claw 2.6 track, can, powder pro skis, 2010 seat, lefty throttle, cpc snow eliminators

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
I've owned both of those sleds. My M8 was quite an upgrade over my M7, however my M7 was stock. You are right about the 2.6 PC and low miles being tempting though. The M8 has quite a bit more low end power and throttle response, engine reverse is pretty great, has the better narrow tunnel in the rear, and is lighter I believe. The M7 is a super reliable motor, and the 2.6 PC is awesome (I put one on my M8). How often will your son use it? Do you think he will continue to ride it into the future, turn into full on addicts like the rest of us? Some simple/inexpensive upgrades on the M8 make it an even better sled, and they can be done over time. Whereas when he wants better performance out of the M7, you/he will probably looking for a newer sled. At least that's what I did.

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
How often will your son use it? Do you think he will continue to ride it into the future, turn into full on addicts like the rest of us? Some simple/inexpensive upgrades on the M8 make it an even better sled, and they can be done over time. Whereas when he wants better performance out of the M7, you/he will probably looking for a newer sled. At least that's what I did.

1 of the main reasons to buy my son a sled is so that I can go out more :face-icon-small-ton so I am hoping he really gets into it!

What about Diamond Drive on the M7 vs the M8?

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
They both have basic the same inner gears and bearings. The 09 has a larger DD case and holds more oil. The 09 might need the bearing upgrade but odds are its already been done. I believe the M7 is probly the lighter sled but there close. Mods are more plentiful for the M8.

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
The M8 has the weak bearing that should be changed out if it hasn't been already. That's the first thing I did to mine. Super easy to do and cost about 20 bucks. On both diamond drives I would clean them out and change fluid every year.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
M7 diamond drives were the most durable ones built IMO. Make sure the bearing in the middle of the M8 one has been upgraded and the cover goes on (or cut down the gear or track shaft if not) and it should last a long time too with adequate maintenance. Be aware that at 2200 miles the M8 may need some clutch rebuilding/replacement and pistons not too far down the road. Probably some motor mounts too. The 2.25" Powerclaw track was stock on the 09 M8. If the M7 has an orange hood, it is the LE model.

M7 will probably be more of a gas and go sled for a few years where the M8 will require some love. Good upgrades available for both. Can you see both sleds in person? General condition of the sleds will have a lot to do with it.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
I have both in my stable right now and also have a 15yo son. Heres my take for what its worth... That M7 is a great sled! However it is totally different riding the M7 vice the M8. If you start to ride more technical areas... in order to make the M7 work (Which it does just fine) you are in the power and winding her right out. The M8 makes such great power at the lower RPM range that the throttle doesn't need to be on the bar to make the moves. Its easier on the M8...In and out as I like to say.
The M7 makes power just fine but it takes a moment to get her to start singing the right tune. For a kid making it up to the next level riding I would go with the M8 for sure. That doesn't even take into consideration the difference in chassis which is significant or the reverse (Which is convenient). Bearing change for sure.
FWIW I would also be leery of a sled that is almost 10 years old with 900 miles on it. Chances are more than good that it has many more miles on it and has just not been counting. (That story usually is easily detectable by the condition of the body) If it does have 900 miles on it than unless it has been stored properly and run in decent increments than you might have some other seal issues.

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
I have both in my stable right now and also have a 15yo son. Heres my take for what its worth... That M7 is a great sled! However it is totally different riding the M7 vice the M8. If you start to ride more technical areas... in order to make the M7 work (Which it does just fine) you are in the power and winding her right out. The M8 makes such great power at the lower RPM range that the throttle doesn't need to be on the bar to make the moves. Its easier on the M8...In and out as I like to say.
The M7 makes power just fine but it takes a moment to get her to start singing the right tune. For a kid making it up to the next level riding I would go with the M8 for sure. That doesn't even take into consideration the difference in chassis which is significant or the reverse (Which is convenient). Bearing change for sure.
FWIW I would also be leery of a sled that is almost 10 years old with 900 miles on it. Chances are more than good that it has many more miles on it and has just not been counting. (That story usually is easily detectable by the condition of the body) If it does have 900 miles on it than unless it has been stored properly and run in decent increments than you might have some other seal issues.

Thank you this helps a ton!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I would also say the M8. The 09 M8 lost 22 lbs from the previous year M8s. It came with new lightweight rails, electronic reverse, adjustable height steering post, etc. They are a darn good sled.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah

Great wright up.:face-icon-small-hap
A couple things to add; The chassis difference is really only the tunnel and suspension. Although the M7 doesn't have the low end grunt the 8 does. The M7 is lighter up front and I feel is easier to manuver than the 8.
My 2 cents.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Be aware that at 2200 miles the M8 may need some clutch rebuilding/replacement and pistons not too far down the road. Probably some motor mounts too.

I had to do clutch work (weights were worn) on my M8 at about 3000 miles. But at ~3500 now, the pistons and motor mounts are fine as far as I can tell. I've not seen anything about the '09 M8 engine needing frequent piston changes... (But I'm going to go look now, since mine has always rattled more than it seems like it should...)

Anyway, I love my '09 M8. Reverse alone is worth every penny, and I'd agree that it makes power in a very mild mannered way... My old 600 had to be screaming, and took a second to wind up. The M8 is like a tractor in comparison, and just goes when I give it throttle. :)

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
Thank you, I ended up getting an 09 M8 Limited with 1,375 miles on it. It also came with an MBRP can and Simmons gen 1 skis. I have already done the wide bearing replacement in the Diamond Drive. I also just replaced the carbide's on the skis with Bergstrom Hard weld skegs to go easy on my cement and trailer.

I just purchased a used all black Mountain seat from a 2010 M series sled.

Can't wait for some snow!

Premium Features