• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

burnt piston detectives step inside.

J
Aug 31, 2011
07 CF1000, 09 reflash, 5k miles, NO Mods, all stock. Been opened up before me when I bought it at 2k. Has PTO written on the side of the cylinder in marker. Traveling 60-70 MPH for 2 miles, pulled to stop, shot off trail to the side and eased back on trail. Sled slowed and died like it ran out of gas. Knew I was in some kind of trouble because the sled never dies.the sled wouldn't start. Pulled the plugs and both electrodes on the PTO side were bent closed. the plugs were good color. They had little pieces of marbles on the inside which were not a good sign. Held thumb over the hole of the cylinder and found no compression.got her home, thankfully for backup sled I had my ride for the weekend. But this is what I found. You guys please help me determine what the hell happened so it doesn't do it again. Pictures will follow after I upload them

20150211_153218_zpsokh9yrrx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
J
Aug 31, 2011
What happened? fuel? air leak? Chunk of something? I was running 91 octane and riding sea level. Stock sled no mods. The gash on the piston was on the inside, PTO intake port. I am going to need another jug if anybody has one to sell.

Last edited:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
looks like bad/old fuel to me with the end result det. with the plug ground straps shut is a side affect sometimes it will break them off or brake the ceramic part of the plug as well as make the loose.
I do have a good used jug shipped to?
Was the tps plugged in?

also looks a little dry on top of the piston was this the first ride of the year?

Last edited:
J
Aug 31, 2011
The rings are welded / pinched in the grooves. the locating pins are there. topped off in the morning and traveled 60 miles before this happened. Drained tank yearly and start fresh. the day before rode 100 miles no prob.
TPS plugged in. running 91 octane
Shoot me a price shipped to 53545.

We were running a sugary snow trail for miles and my intake was eating alot of snow. When I dropped off trail the nose of the sled went down and then climbed back up onto the trail, instantly my sled died. Water dumping into the throttle bodies?

Last edited:
J
Aug 31, 2011
It where bad gas, How come only one side was damaged? Antifreeze leak between the case halves on the mag side cause this? Ant freeze leaking into the bottom half being pulled up into the piston?

Last edited:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
defiantly could be antifreeze or water ingestion. was the coolant bottle full before you took it down?
as for the ring stuck in the grooves this is common on a FUBAR piston, and the location pins are all still in place?
the other question is if you did a lot of miles the day before then what changed to let snow in?
it looks like it was getting oil because the sides didn't' have the smear real bad.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
you can but make sure you get all the loose derbies and smooth it out ever so gently as to not mess with the squish too much. best is pick one up off ebay for around 100. yours is on the rougher side or what i would even consider to run. you are close to millennium technologies might look at an exchange on the jug from them.
as for the fuel did you get it from a know good station?

J
Aug 31, 2011
Gas station in a large town. ( Iron Mountain, MI) burned through a half a tank before she let me down. Upon further investigation I see a chip or two on the Mag side piston edge. Blow bye brown underneath both pistons. Ordering new Oem pistons and gaskets. Is it necessary to replace the wrist pins and bearings when doing a top end? I do nothing but trail ride, No long heavy pulls. I expect that I should. I just do not want to throw more money at new part unless I am certain what caused the original failure.

J
Aug 31, 2011
Figured it out. Old pistons, chunk of the corner broke off, seizing the rings on that side, excessive blow by = detonation of the top of the piston from a pre lean condition. that's why the other side (mag) is good beside acouple of small chips from the edge. Cleaned up the scars in the jug with a emery cloth and gonna run it again. New Oem pistons and bearings ordered. I think I came out lucky. I knew I should of done the pistons prior to this season, I thought I could get another season out of her. Oh live and learn.
2-01.jpg

20150211_153306_zpsiil4kepk.jpg

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
I'm going with deto from old or bad gas. And it is very common when this happens it takes down the "hot" side. To me it looks like the mag was very close to as it shows light signs of deto. Saying you we're cruising for two miles at 60 right before also leads me to this .

Snow ingestion will wash your oil off the intake skirt not sand blast the piston crown/edge.
Get some new parts and I'm sure everything will be back to normal. With pump fuel there is always the chance your not getting the octane your paying for and the chance of high ethanol which attracts water which displaces fuel both make things leaner then fuel with out ethanol.
Approximately 5000-6000 rpm will be the hottest part of the timing curve so I would try to not cruise in that range.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'm going with deto from old or bad gas. And it is very common when this happens it takes down the "hot" side. To me it looks like the mag was very close to as it shows light signs of deto. Saying you we're cruising for two miles at 60 right before also leads me to this .

Snow ingestion will wash your oil off the intake skirt not sand blast the piston crown/edge.
Get some new parts and I'm sure everything will be back to normal. With pump fuel there is always the chance your not getting the octane your paying for and the chance of high ethanol which attracts water which displaces fuel both make things leaner then fuel with out ethanol.
Approximately 5000-6000 rpm will be the hottest part of the timing curve so I would try to not cruise in that range.

I'm with Thunder on this. Injector possibly even started freezing up on that side as well? Age/fatigue on the piston couldn't handle it anymore and your chip probably came off as a result. Not much carbon on that mag piston crown either with small amount of wash. Maybe running a touch lean overall? Got a picture of the underside of the pistons? Light color there is ok, but if it is dark or has deposits then it was on the lean side and actually getting hot enough on top to transfer through to the bottom and start cooking fuel to the underside surface. I know the 09 maps are leaner than the 07s. Got a shot of sub-grade ethanol fuel matched up with the lean mid-range 09 map and it was probably right on the edge until it finally went down.

If I spent the money on new pistons, I would spend the extra $250 for a re-nik cylinder too.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Replace both pistons and pick up a used or replated cyl and it looks like your head is done.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
When I was talking to Dale Cutler a few years ago, he told me too much color under the pistons is one of the signs he looks for when diagnosing a motor that went down. Tattle tales if the motor had been running lean. By the amount of actual carbon on yours, I would guess it was running on the lean side for a while. How many miles have you put on since you bought it at the 2K mark? Running ethanol blended fuel (contributes to the lean condition if not adjusted for)?

Premium Features