• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 Primary question

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
OK guys, I'm stuck. I'm trying to swap the weights from low elevation to high. Well, bought the sled used and setup for sea level (my elevation) in the primary with all stock secondary. So, 74 gram weights, stock spring, straight 36 helix, stock spring. Now I bought 68 gram(703-68) weights and went to put them in..... wtf they don't even fit in the clutch tower. The weights I took out, the 74 gram, look like Polaris. Numbers on them 10-74 and they are bushed at the pin with no set screws. (See pics) what am I missing? Weight on right fits perfect, left one way to wide.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Must be a 03 F clutch.
It might be a 8/900 clutch but they have a diff off set so I would start
By checking the offset.
Is the clutch a six tower ?

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
yes, 6 tower. Is there a cat clutch that will fit Polaris 10 series weights without fuss? Maybe pre M series?

Last edited:

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Yes the old cat clutches could run Poo 10 serries. the 03 F7 was the last of bushed weights

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
Thanks. Being the 3rd owner I may never know what happened since the P.O. knew nothing about sleds. I have a trip coming up Sat. so I just ordered Poo weights for it and I'll sort it out later.

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
got new weights today, tonight when i install them, ill post some pics of what I have and maybe someone can help me figure it out. It would be nice to know if
i ever need parts.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
The 03 clutch fits set screw style weights with bushins pressed in. You might have a Polaris clutch

03 clutch doesn't use set screws. 04 is the first year for set screws. You wouldn't use bushings in a set screw weight...

As for the OP. The sled has an 03 f7 clutch which didn't use set screw style weights.

Last edited:
M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
03 clutch doesn't use set screws. 04 is the first year for set screws. You wouldn't use bushings in a set screw weight...

As for the OP. The sled has an 03 f7 clutch which didn't use set screw style weights.

I own a 03.5 f6 eb essentially an 03 f7 w smaller jugs. I run 3 different sets of set screw style weights with bushings pressed into the weights. The holes are the same size. My 06 cf has set screw style weights in it . Cutlers to be exact I know the difference. I clutched ALOT of cats

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I own a 03.5 f6 eb essentially an 03 f7 w smaller jugs. I run 3 different sets of set screw style weights with bushings pressed into the weights. The holes are the same size. My 06 cf has set screw style weights in it . Cutlers to be exact I know the difference. I clutched ALOT of cats

Maybe I should be more clear, the 03 f sleds and even your 03.5 (actually an 04) early build. Uses a fixed pin clutch, where production 04 uses a pivoting pin clutch and a set screw weight. If you're using a pivoting pin clutch, on your early build someone changed it on you. Or it was updated.

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
Maybe I should be more clear, the 03 f sleds and even your 03.5 (actually an 04) early build. Uses a fixed pin clutch, where production 04 uses a pivoting pin clutch and a set screw weight. If you're using a pivoting pin clutch, on your early build someone changed it on you. Or it was updated.
I bought the f6 eb from a rep with 126 miles on it. They came with a wide pocket primary 60g non set screw weights, yellow white, 53/51& red white, 10t drivers, 20/39 gears. I run d&d components in it now & drag race it.It also has a black faced gauge and ethanol switch just like the 03 f7 . The production 04 has set screw weights totally different gearing & clutching, a white faced gauge and no ethanol switch on the cowl. The m7 in question had set screw weights but by the looks of the narrow weights it must have a Polaris or comet clutch on it. Guess we are saying the same thing. I was half a sleep on baby watch!

Last edited:
A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Nice, seeing as you bought it from a rep he probably had the updated priMary put on it. The early build actually calls for a fixed pin set up. But either way as long as the op gets up and running, that's all that matters.

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
My local dealer was very helpful with figuring it out. You are correct, It is the same clutch from a 03 F what ever. Not many years with 33mm crank and bushed weights. (Like 2 years)

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
My local dealer was very helpful with figuring it out. You are correct, It is the same clutch from a 03 F what ever. Not many years with 33mm crank and bushed weights. (Like 2 years)
Ok, with the fixed pin(non set screw) clutch the pockets & rollers on the spider are wide enough to install those set screw style weights if you press in bushings and install the weights with the side shims & fixed pins. So you can install those 68g set screw style weights as long as your rpm is correct

Premium Features