• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Top end rebuild, easier to install ...

J
Aug 31, 2011
Been awhile since I have done a top end rebuild. I remember it was trouble some trying to pinch the rings and slide the cylinders on. Is it easier to install the pistons into the bottoms of the cylinders and then install onto the rods or pistons onto the rods? Any tricks to help make this go easier?

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
pistons

I prefer to put the pistons on the rods and slide the pistons in from the bottom of the cylinders. That seemed to work best for me. lots of oil on both to make things slide easy. YMMV

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I stick the O-rings on the cylinders with a very little bit of silicon, out the rings on the pistons and put them on the rods. Now slide the cylinders down over the pistons and rods and tighten the cylinders down. By this time the rings are stuck in place good enough that it is easy to slide the head on without knocking them out of place.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
I always get my son or a buddy to slide the cylinders on while Im holding rings in.
And remember to stick your tongue out to the left just a bit.:face-icon-small-hap

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I stick the O-rings on the cylinders with a very little bit of silicon, out the rings on the pistons and put them on the rods. Now slide the cylinders down over the pistons and rods and tighten the cylinders down. By this time the rings are stuck in place good enough that it is easy to slide the head on without knocking them out of place.
He is talking piston rings not head o-rings. :loco::bounce:

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
o rings

He is talking about sticking the rubber o-rings on the top of the cylinder. Hold them in place with a little silicone. They are a b---h to keep in place unless you use new. Stick them on the night before maybe. I have cleaned things up dry and used a very little bit of contact cement to hold them in place. Whatever works I guess.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
He is talking piston rings not head o-rings. :loco::bounce:

Went back and read it again, I guess I never heard inched used in conjunction with compressing the piston rings and my mind just went to the normal trouble spot of getting the O rings to stay in place.
You can use a ring compressor other wise just fight the fingers pinchers!

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
What some guys do is take the piston and rings with one wrist pin clip and install them into the cylinder first, with it turned 90 degrees, and then put the whole thing onto the connecting rod at one time by installing the wrist pin through the exhaust port. That is what I think the OP was asking about. I have done it on a motocross bike and it works pretty slick.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I would not do it that way myself, sleds are tucked in more that a bike engine and making sure the c clip is set in properly would be pretty dicey. I've never had much of an issue just using my fingers to hold the rings in. Never get them on the first try but still not all that bad.

Premium Features