• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat or Polaris

R
Feb 10, 2015
Looking at buying a 2016 snowmobile having trouble on brand. Im really looking at a Arctic Cat m8 limited but been thinking about a Polaris 800 rmk Pro. Like not having so much weight and more options. But unsure about durability and build quality in the Polaris. Like Arctic Cats new clutches also. Don't like the not having track options though. The engines on Polaris are iffy to me to. Haven trouble deciding. Any help? :dunno:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Both are garbage. Both are victims of corporate cost cutting and engineering weight loss to the chagrin of durability. This makes them throwaways after 1 or 2 seasons. Clutching on either-good luck with that! I'd prolly pick what dealer is closer and/or better.

C
Dec 24, 2014
The "build quality" argument around here is a joke IMO. There is NO WAY the Cat or Doo is put together or designed with any more care than the Polaris. I see a lot less plastics damage to Polaris than Skidoo for sure and have seen more problems with the Cats I ride with lately than the Polaris'.

The engine is a bit of an issue. Did Polaris really fix it this time, or is it another poorly conceived re-hash of the crap Dragon motor? Only time and use will tell. To me that is the only gamble. Other than the engine I think the Pro is by far the best riding mtn sled on the market.

For my riding, I agree with kanedog, 2 years max regardless of who built it, after that you are going to start having issues. I hope to continue my new sled each season plan but I will not be snow checking a sled, probably find a '15 holdover and go that route until we have more info on the new engines durability. I remember Polaris hanging 900 customers and Dragon 800 customers out to dry on warranty claims for crap engine designs. I am not a first year model buyer, not from that company...

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
If you believe the internet, buy a Cat. If you want to get what you want, buy a Poo. The engine thing is waaaaay overhyped. Just a bunch of guys looking to profit by selling you a 'fix kit'. Don't fall prey.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
The clutches *should* fix most of Cat's reliability problems, and they have been refining a least a couple things every year since the 2012 dissapointment. Should be a great sled.

The Pol engines from 2013 and up have actually been quite good, and seem to get better every year. Hopefully that trend continues.

To answer your question, I would buy a Polaris, cause if I'm shelling out new sled money - I want the latest and greatest. And a lighter Pro, with more HP, narrower everything, bigger track options, etc.....sounds like a very good thing.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
most responses to best sleds will center around what's most important to the person posting....helps to understand a little about yourself, what's important to you, what kind of terrain do you ride in, are you leaving it totally stock or might you be open to spending a little ?....with the 16 cat, a lot of the complaints have been answered, the addition of a lightweight can cuts the weight advantage of poo/doo to mostly insignificant talk....the ongoing problems of the poo engine are still significant, until they have proven themselves, which truely won't be known until next year at this time....i like riding poo/cat for most boondocking, like doo if the riding isn't quite as aggressive (it's dependable, comfortable, good build quality, great trail and overall sled)....the differences in what make a good sled for riding characteristics vary with rider skill and preference, i've seen all three be excellent performers, mostly depending on rider skill.....location and honesty/integrity of the dealer is not to be overlooked...:juggle:

T
Feb 10, 2013
Idaho falls, Idaho
Tough to make that decision with an all new Poo coming out. I'm really frustrated with no demo rides before the sno check. I've ridden a 2014 cat and it feels lighter than my Pro in many ways but doesn't get up on the snow as well. The cat has a proven motor and if they fix the clutch issues it would be a solid sled. I think the Axys is a risk since it's a first year model......I think Ploaris is making a mistake by not having some out....they've probably lost my sno check.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
The "build quality" argument around here is a joke IMO. There is NO WAY the Cat or Doo is put together or designed with any more care than the Polaris. I see a lot less plastics damage to Polaris than Skidoo for sure and have seen more problems with the Cats I ride with lately than the Polaris'.

The engine is a bit of an issue. Did Polaris really fix it this time, or is it another poorly conceived re-hash of the crap Dragon motor? Only time and use will tell. To me that is the only gamble. Other than the engine I think the Pro is by far the best riding mtn sled on the market.

For my riding, I agree with kanedog, 2 years max regardless of who built it, after that you are going to start having issues. I hope to continue my new sled each season plan but I will not be snow checking a sled, probably find a '15 holdover and go that route until we have more info on the new engines durability. I remember Polaris hanging 900 customers and Dragon 800 customers out to dry on warranty claims for crap engine designs. I am not a first year model buyer, not from that company...

I dont have any "plastic damage" and I ride with you, I have decal damage yes, the decals do seem to brush off easy this year

C
Dec 24, 2014
I dont have any "plastic damage" and I ride with you, I have decal damage yes, the decals do seem to brush off easy this year

True, but the SkiDoo's in the group are always sporting broken front end plastic... If you believe the internet, the Doo is by far the best built.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
buy 2015 pro with chain case . 5 years of refinement, and you can get a great deal! Most people can not ride this sled to full potential. It won't be the hold up.. First year Polaris rides are problematic. I've owned every 800 since 2001.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
buy 2015 pro with chain case . 5 years of refinement, and you can get a great deal! Most people can not ride this sled to full potential. It won't be the hold up.. First year Polaris rides are problematic. I've owned every 800 since 2001.

You mean either the '15 Assault or the '15 std RMK? There was no '15 Pro with a chaincase available.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Yeah our crew is on Assaults.. thanks
I thought they were all considered ProRide chassis. Hell I can't keep them straight anymore

rmking700

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2014
Utah
my 12 pro rmk 800 has 3224 miles on it. has one top end 500 miles ago just todo it motor was still running great. all stock oiler turned up and vented cap and never had one single problem. best sled ive ever rode I cant justify selling it because its never let me down and I still haven't found its limit

C
Dec 24, 2014
my 12 pro rmk 800 has 3224 miles on it. has one top end 500 miles ago just todo it motor was still running great. all stock oiler turned up and vented cap and never had one single problem. best sled ive ever rode I cant justify selling it because its never let me down and I still haven't found its limit

How many of those are mountain riding miles? Flatland sleds accumulate miles much more quickly and seemingly last longer. Check engine hours against miles to see a clear picture of use. My 1100 mile Pro has 90 hours on it. Most 90 hr. trail sleds will have 3000+ miles on them.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
It all comes down to rider and how you ride......sleds are so idenical and arnt built to last if your an agressive rider.. poo=nibble and well there is a reason there so light......... doo=middle of the road reliable...... cat=well heavy as **** not very nibble but bullet proof...just this guys opinion..:face-icon-small-dis

rmking700

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2014
Utah
How many of those are mountain riding miles? Flatland sleds accumulate miles much more quickly and seemingly last longer. Check engine hours against miles to see a clear picture of use. My 1100 mile Pro has 90 hours on it. Most 90 hr. trail sleds will have 3000+ miles on them.

only trail it sees is getting up the hill. I live in Utah so no flat landing. sled was built for the mountains and that's what I use it for. used to ride cats till I got this sled. the cat is a very solid sled as well but in my own personal opinion the pro chassis is far better. and I've never had a problem with the motor. ever! has over 200 hours for sure not sure of exact number because I haven't checked all year but a few hundred miles ago it was over 200 wouldn't be surprised to see it past 300 now

Premium Features