• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1973 Yamaha GP 292 and 1974 Yamaha SM 292??

S

Summitstef

Nov 26, 2007
In a forest, somewhere in Alberta
1973 Yamaha GP 292 and 1974 Yamaha SM 292??
So I just stumbled onto two old relics and brought them out of the bush. Some clean up here and there and a seat cover for both. But other than that everything is pretty much intact and in good shape. No cracks or dings on either hoods. Now, I have been trying to do some research on these sleds with not much information to be found.
What I have found out so far is that the 292 engine is a retarded power house for a single. Can anyone chime in with some additional info? I grabbed these for the kids, but now I'm not so sure if these little sleds are kid friendly….

Roadbuilder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
292 GP

The 292 GP put out 27 horse power, they did run quite well in the day. I had one with a 50mm carb on it. I wouldn't worry about it as a kids sled, just back the throttle cable of a bit. if you need to.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
We had one as kids, I think it was a 71 or 72. It was a GP292 for sure. So much fun. It lived at the cabin, it finally died when I rode it out many years later, pretty sure I blew it up, it ended up at the dump. I dropped the skid on it, welded in braces for the boards, it was my first sled project as a young teenager. Also the first garage fire I started, welding on it with it tipped up on it's side, spewing gas out the cap, lol.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The most kid non-friendly thing that ours had was a clutch spinning right next to our legs and everything being open to the rider. Not sure if that was stock, but the clutch liked to come loose on ours all the time.

Premium Features