• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dumb people with Avy bags

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Some Avy backpacks have a velcro cover over the handle to prevent accidental activation. This cover is for storage only when the bag is in the truck or home. This velcro cover is to be removed when you put the pack on.
Two separate times now I have been standing next to riders in the mountains bs'ing and what not. I noticed that the velcro cover was still covering their handle.
I mentioned to one rider that his cover was on and I nicely reached over and undid and tucked and fastened the cover UNDER his handle for him. He immediately undid it and put the cover back on and said " in an avy I will just pull the handle and the velcro will release when I pull the handle." The guy was almost offended. Go ahead dude, go kill yourself.
Second scenario. Different day, different rider. Same nice gesture I point out that the fellow riders' cover is OVER his avy pack handle. He looks at me like I just robbed him, touches his covered handle and says "I just leave it like that." I say "but we are in big avy terrain."
He gives me dirty look, starts his sled and rides off.
I guess I can look at it like these guys will more likely be killed in an Avy because they couldn't deploy their air bags due to the cover being on. That would mean more untracked terrain for me to ride. It might seem cold hearted but I have no time for stupid people anymore. Good luck velcro warriors!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
More Idiots being born every minute!

"You can't fix stupid" (General consensus, gives credit to Ron White)

So very true, "Stupid is, as stupid does" (Forest Gump)

Regardless of the individuals intelligence, by not reading AND following the instructions provided, is nothing short of STUPIDITY!

It may not look all GQ, but it may well save your life should the need arise.

If you are going to leave the activation handle sealed from your access, You might just as well leave it in the store and save the coin because it is obvious you would like to play the Darwin Award lottery anyway.

Fashion has no place on the mountain!

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Sealed? On the ABS it's a narrow thin Velcro strip. And is it fashionable to leave it over the trigger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I guess you can't read instructions that come with the pack? It's in French too btw.
Like I said-all you clowns can leave the velcro over your handle. That way, when you kill yourself in an avy, there is more fresh pow for me.

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
I had an ABS for many years. I would test it once a year. It still fires easily with the Velcro strip in place. I started leaving it in place thinking it may reduce some of the accidental triggers I had. Maybe not the best practice but mine would definitely still fire.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
FWIW, Bailer's right. I've test fired my ABS bag both ways over the years, with and without the Velcro 'safety'. Little difference, fires both ways, and that's without the adrenaline rush of getting on a one way ride. Either way you have to find the handle. Evidently the Tether Police has never owned an ABS bag. Just STFU. Go Nazi on the backcountry skiers, or go home and beat your dog.

Regarding wearing a bag, making any different decision on a hill just cause you're wearing one is more stupidity. Most peeps with brains and any avy training also recognize that wearing a bag doesn't save you from getting blown into rocks or strained through trees, which causes as much death, and more injuries, in a slide as burials. Wear what you want. Or not.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I have to admit it is really funny listening to people fighting for their right to do things the wrong way and trying to justify that they are right. The next time you look at the small book of warnings limiting the liability of the company who produces the product on anything that may cause death or injury if used wrong and think how stupid to have all these warnings listed, Just go look in the mirror to see the reason why its that long.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I guess I am unfamiliar with the style you are talking about. Ours have the pull handle in a zippered pocket. It's either zipped in the pocket where it is unusable or unzipped outside where is operational.
1500psi had mentioned in another post that he has encountered people that ride without a helmet. Now that's dumb.

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
I guess I am unfamiliar with the style you are talking about. Ours have the pull handle in a zippered pocket. It's either zipped in the pocket where it is unusable or unzipped outside where is operational.
1500psi had mentioned in another post that he has encountered people that ride without a helmet. Now that's dumb.

They are talking about an ABS style avy bag. Not a BCA. The ABS handle has a loop that has a small piece that velcro's over the handle.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I have to admit it is really funny listening to people fighting for their right to do things the wrong way and trying to justify that they are right. The next time you look at the small book of warnings limiting the liability of the company who produces the product on anything that may cause death or injury if used wrong and think how stupid to have all these warnings listed, Just go look in the mirror to see the reason why its that long.

Haha, I agree. I almost felt that I was doing it wrong by doing it right after reading those stupid reasons for leaving the velcro cover on.
Removing the cover and placing it underneath angles the handle toward your hand and it guarantees NO interference from velcro strap. If you are in life or death sitcheeashun, wouldn't you want every available chance to live? Why reduce your chances?

I recommend the clowns who leave the velcro strap over the handle to sit down with their wives, children and coworkers and ask the following-"this avy bag is meant to save my life in an emergency but I am not going to follow the imanufacturer instructions for use because the bag worked for me standing in my living room. I believe that in a panic situation (read avalanche) that my method will not reduce my chances of survival. In fact, I might even advise the manufacturer that their instructions are not needed."

Do the above and report back on how many times the words stupid and idiot come up.

I'm out.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
So by chance you happen upon said avy victim with a pack that did not deploy, due to trigger not being accessible ..

Sledding decorum dictates

a) Finders Keepers
b) Widow has claim
c) Search & Rescue auction item
d) Roshambo time

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
The chances of a Abs pack actually deploying when I want it to is actually what like 50/50 at best? I've had 3 friends buried cuz they wouldn't deploy and have read about many others. After only seeing one happen I wouldn't wear one of it was free.

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
The chances of a Abs pack actually deploying when I want it to is actually what like 50/50 at best? I've had 3 friends buried cuz they wouldn't deploy and have read about many others. After only seeing one happen I wouldn't wear one of it was free.

I'm running a new Snowpulse bag now but I must say my experience with the ABS was nothing but positive.

I had an ABS 30 for 10yrs, and in that time it never failed on an annual test fire! Compare this to the countless leaking canisters and failed triggers from the other brands I have seen in that time period!!

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I'm running a new Snowpulse bag now but I must say my experience with the ABS was nothing but positive.

I had an ABS 30 for 10yrs, and in that time it never failed on an annual test fire! Compare this to the countless leaking canisters and failed triggers from the other brands I have seen in that time period!!

I would also like to know your testing protocol when you say it is 50/50. I have blown off over 600 abs units and never had one fail yet, including many consumers who had never test fired their bag in 8-10 years(not recommended) and they worked perfectly. The number one reason we are finding up to 25% of riders buried in avy's with airbags still not deployed is because they are trying to outride then pull, if they don't outride they never get the chance to pull again. Remember when you get caught it is like a person pulling the rug out from under you. The most important thing to do with any avy pack is if you feel anything move, whumping in the snow or cracking, is to pull the avy pack first then try and ride out. This is very important. The original poster might also work on his skills talking to people. I am sure he would not be interested in listening to someone who touches him without asking and calling him and an idiot. Remember if you want to teach others you have to first earn their respect. No one wants to listen to a bully. Safety is the most important and people should not be made to feel stupid to ask certain things or feel dumb if they are not doing something right! The original poster way actually make new people or ones with less experience learn less and be nervous to ask questions and that is a bad, thing.

Last edited:

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
I would also like to know your testing protocol when you say it is 50/50. I have blown off over 600 abs units and never had one fail yet, including many consumers who had never test fired their bag in 8-10 years(not recommended) and they worked perfectly. The number one reason we are finding up to 25% of riders buried in avy's with airbags still not deployed is because they are trying to outride then pull, if they don't outride they never get the chance to pull again. Remember when you get caught it is like a person pulling the rug out from under you. The most important thing to do with any avy pack is if you feel anything move, whumping in the snow or cracking, is to pull the avy pack first then try and ride out. This is very important. The original poster might also work on his skills talking to people. I am sure he would not be interested in listening to someone who touches him without asking and calling him and an idiot. Remember if you want to teach others you have to first earn their respect. No one wants to listen to a bully. Safety is the most important and people should not be made to feel stupid to ask certain things or feel dumb if they are not doing something right! The original poster way actually make new people or ones with less experience learn less and be nervous to ask questions and that is a bad, thing.

Bullying? wow that kind of pisses me off, you think my original comment is bullying. Wtf are you guys a bunch of girls or something? You have 17 likes off of this comment you made, Idc about people's feelings when it comes to the truth. What do you work for Abs or they sponsor you or something? Abs had huge back pack recalls, google it it's right at the top!! Like I said when I posted 50/50 comment which is exactly how someone should feel when wearing one BECAUSE ABS HAS A HISTORY OF PEOPLE BEING BURIED WHILE WEARING ABS PACKS CUZ THEY WOULDNT DEPLOY. That's why they had a big recall and hopefully got sued for selling faulty junk. You can't be that stupid to not know Abs has had a lot of failures can you? Idk how new to the sport you are Norona but this post is bar far your worst and it got 17 thanks and a guy that says he's never had problems in 10 years. I'm so sick of the "I've never had it happen to me comment" therefore it doesn't exist bs. Sorry if real life experience hurts you guys little feelings but I'd rather Tell the truth about crap then worry about Sensitive Sally's.

Premium Features