• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

700 cfi low idle

C
Dec 26, 2008
My 07 Dragon started idling low 2 rides ago. It used to idle around 1500 - 1600 and its now around 1000 - 1100. Besides the low idle it still runs totally fine and has full power through the RPM range. Do I need to check the TPS (don't want to take it to the dealer) or is it possible my throttle cable stretched and just needs idle adjustment? Anything else to look at?

T

trench

Nov 28, 2007
My 07 Dragon started idling low 2 rides ago. It used to idle around 1500 - 1600 and its now around 1000 - 1100. Besides the low idle it still runs totally fine and has full power through the RPM range. Do I need to check the TPS (don't want to take it to the dealer) or is it possible my throttle cable stretched and just needs idle adjustment? Anything else to look at?

Have you had the newest updated reflash ?

Mine did the same thing, clean and check the exhaust valve bellows.
Get the new reflash , change the plugs.

That solved it , ran great ever since.

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
sadly you can't adjust the idle on those with out messing the tps up. If you have the tools and the time you can take everything apart and set the tps yourself but its almost easier and worth it to take it to the dealer. They can hook up the digital wrench to it and adjust the tps thru the 2 holes behind the secondary clutch without taking anything apart.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
T.p.s. Setting

Throttle cables have no bearing on idle speed whether they "stretched" or not. You can cut the throttle cables off the motor and the sled will still idle at the same speed. Throttle speed/T.P.S. final step is set by the throttle speed screw located on the throttle bodies.

There's info on how to set the t.p.s. under INCREASING YOUR IQ" at the TOP OF THIS FORUM, $10.00 in parts from Radio Shack and you can test it yourself, just remember the throttle blades have to be fully closed to set it, and then open the throttle until either .94 volts or .95 volts is achieved.

You don't need the digital wrench to set your T.P.S. and you can't "just check it" you have to go through the process of fully closing the throttle blades in order to do this correctly.

Hope this helps

C
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks for the tips. Got a few things to look into tomorrow.

I also just noticed my tail light bulb is burned out. Can this cause enough change in the electrical system to affect how it runs at idle?

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST

I also just noticed my tail light bulb is burned out. Can this cause enough change in the electrical system to affect how it runs at idle?

Definitely No

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST

Definitely No

Just for kicks, do a compression check while you're working on it

C
Dec 26, 2008
Had the dealer check out the TPS and clean the throttle bodies. Seems to idle much better. In hind site - I should have just cleaned the throttle bodies myself as suggested, but it's nice knowing the TPS is set correctly. Thanks for the tips.

Premium Features