• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buying an 09 m8, got some questions

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks for all the replies! I plan on keeping it for a while. We do get a lot of snow where I live so will be tons of powder so I guess this year I'll invest in the frog skins, full slip (really like the idea of no fuel controller), seat because the stocker sucks haha, and I'll save my pennies for a track and a top end next summer and bulk head support.

Since everyone is saying do the updated bearing I'll be tearing that apart right away.

The bulk head support must be quite the job to install I would imagine? Could I save it till next summer and be alright without it? Where does it usually crack?

If you take a hard hit into the bars it usually cracks where the post mounts on the bulkhead. I would get that this year if you plan on jumping a lot. It also strengthens the side of the bulkhead. Its not a bad job, just pull the pipe and gas tank. You can get a socket with a long extension up inside the tunnel to take the nut off the bottom of the steering post. If you are good with a wrench putting that on should only take maybe an hour.

Sep 16, 2014
If you take a hard hit into the bars it usually cracks where the post mounts on the bulkhead. I would get that this year if you plan on jumping a lot. It also strengthens the side of the bulkhead. Its not a bad job, just pull the pipe and gas tank. You can get a socket with a long extension up inside the tunnel to take the nut off the bottom of the steering post. If you are good with a wrench putting that on should only take maybe an hour.

Ah that's not to bad. Thought I might have to pull the motor but if that's all it is I might as well do it right off the hop. I'm mechanically inclined I'd say. I've done a couple motor swaps in my jeep and used to be an apprentice mechanic. I know a thing or two but have lots to learn about sleds. Thanks for all the info

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
the LE came with a Boss seat also- try to get it from the buyer

the LE came with 2 seats, 1 crappy oem seat, 1 boss seat. do the Wide bearing in the DD. no matter what, get an SLP air intake kit , about $55, and a Can, if u go ful pipe set get the SLP with a PC5. ride it this season , don't worry about a Topend, sled should be fine. the 2.6 PC would be a huge improvement on that sled, also do the GEO mod which is now called the Geo/Elvis mod because Elvis Poached it.

S
As an owner of that sleds twin, yeah, ask about the boss seat that came with it. Odds are, it may look like mine and have broken zippers and busted snaps and feel like a block of wood, but it's still better than the stocker!

frog skinz vent covers work great

a guage lift kit like this: http://canadasledparts.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=canada-sled-parts&item=42806
does two good things - makes the guage readable while standing up, and lets heat out from under the hood. Before I did this, on one ride, it got so hot under the hood I melted the top of the oil jug. (Side note, there is a fix out there if this is melted. Mine still opens and closes and I never had a heat issue again after adding the lifted guage.) You'll note that the 2010's and newer added a shield to protect the oil tank.

If it hasn't been done yet, cut the bottom strip off the snow flap, you'll go from backing over it every time to never worrying about it again and it doesn't affect cooling in my experience. (Just follow the lines with an exacto knife)

I bought mine off the showroom floor new (was a cancelled snow check) and it hasn't missed a beat over the years (knock on wood, now that I've taunted murphy). I had the bearing update done as well, again, 2009 didn't require any machining.

Good luck, have fun!

Sep 16, 2014
the LE came with 2 seats, 1 crappy oem seat, 1 boss seat. do the Wide bearing in the DD. no matter what, get an SLP air intake kit , about $55, and a Can, if u go ful pipe set get the SLP with a PC5. ride it this season , don't worry about a Topend, sled should be fine. the 2.6 PC would be a huge improvement on that sled, also do the GEO mod which is now called the Geo/Elvis mod because Elvis Poached it.

I'll ask about the boss seat. Someone told me it was optional to get the boss seat. Pc5 (power commander 5?) I'll check out the intake and slp stuff seems like everyone likes there stuff. If I'm going to do a fuel controller I might as well save up so the Rk tek power kit adds 15hp and is bolt on. Then I should have some nice power for the powder. I'd like to shed some weight. I know a seat would help. I really like the skinz seat 15 lbs lighter I guess it is. Anything else I could do for weight?

I'll for sure be doing the dd bearing and frog skins.

Sep 16, 2014
As an owner of that sleds twin, yeah, ask about the boss seat that came with it. Odds are, it may look like mine and have broken zippers and busted snaps and feel like a block of wood, but it's still better than the stocker!

frog skinz vent covers work great

a guage lift kit like this: http://canadasledparts.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=canada-sled-parts&item=42806
does two good things - makes the guage readable while standing up, and lets heat out from under the hood. Before I did this, on one ride, it got so hot under the hood I melted the top of the oil jug. (Side note, there is a fix out there if this is melted. Mine still opens and closes and I never had a heat issue again after adding the lifted guage.) You'll note that the 2010's and newer added a shield to protect the oil tank.

If it hasn't been done yet, cut the bottom strip off the snow flap, you'll go from backing over it every time to never worrying about it again and it doesn't affect cooling in my experience. (Just follow the lines with an exacto knife)

I bought mine off the showroom floor new (was a cancelled snow check) and it hasn't missed a beat over the years (knock on wood, now that I've taunted murphy). I had the bearing update done as well, again, 2009 didn't require any machining.

Good luck, have fun!

That speedo lift is exactly what I was trying to find last night online thanks very much for that. I'm very glad the 09 didn't need machining that makes it much quicker for me to get it done. Appreciate all the replies! Learning a lot already guys!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have both seats (cat boss and stock seat) i think there is 7lbs difference with the boss only weighing a few pounds. I am going to weigh them now.

Sep 16, 2014
is there any other issues with these sleds? I hear people blowing belts while wide open and the bulk head cracking at the steering post, problems with the clutches, ect..

zachman33

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2011
Washington
If you get the m-rite bulkhead brace from modrods, and make sure you have yearly maintenance on your clutch you shouldn't have to many problems. I would send my clutch to racinstation to get it rebuilt. About $200. I have went through 3 belts in 2400 miles. Additionally just go through your DD and you should be ready to go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sep 16, 2014
If you get the m-rite bulkhead brace from modrods, and make sure you have yearly maintenance on your clutch you shouldn't have to many problems. I would send my clutch to racinstation to get it rebuilt. About $200. I have went through 3 belts in 2400 miles. Additionally just go through your DD and you should be ready to go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

right on thanks, ill be sure to address all that just to be safe. mrite support is a must by the sounds of it so ill do it.

any one know what track is currently on the sled now (pics in earlier posts)?

Sep 16, 2014
finally picked up the sled yesterday, it is in pretty good shape. im going to get on this diamond drive when i get it home and also tear down some parts and send them for powder coat. only thing i found wrong was the fuel guage didnt work and the float fell apart inside the take but i got that all fixed pretty easily. we got our first bit of snow yesterday perfect timing id say! haha.

also does anyone know how much oil my dd takes? and should i do all the bearings in the dd with the kit from bdx? thanks guys!

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
finally picked up the sled yesterday, it is in pretty good shape. im going to get on this diamond drive when i get it home and also tear down some parts and send them for powder coat. only thing i found wrong was the fuel guage didnt work and the float fell apart inside the take but i got that all fixed pretty easily. we got our first bit of snow yesterday perfect timing id say! haha.

also does anyone know how much oil my dd takes? and should i do all the bearings in the dd with the kit from bdx? thanks guys!

15 oz.

Premium Features