• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rio Olympics - be a miracle if it goes smooth

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Any high profile gatherings of mass attendees concerns me at this point.
Sporting events, shopping centers, airports, churches (holy crap, think about the lack of preventive measures at any of the churches)

Makes me thankful to live in the middle of nowhere!

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Rio is a shyt hole.!!! Some natural beauty, yes. But Mr. Hankey has a firm grip on that fookin place.
south-park_1.png

Fixed!!

99% chance of infection for athletes in water ( what we call sewage! )

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Olympics location should be determined by previous event medals count.

There is no reason to hold it in 3rd world backwards @ss countries.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I certainly wouldn't be calling Brasil or specifically Rio a hellhole. That's a little much. I lived in Chile for a year and was in Brasil for the World Cup. And I can tell you it was awesome! Of course a City of millions has it's weak points, I was in NYC last year and wouldn't travel in certain parts, even in a car! I'm from Vancouver and there's a few block radius that is almost a 'no-go' zone because of the drugs and assaults. You'll find it in any country. As for the "DrugLord" thing, they are infiltrating governments and the such, they aren't worried about the drugs that are being bought in their own countries, they are focused on getting across borders. Drugs are a problem in any big city, not just the ones far away.

All Rio is doing by declaring a emergency is bypassing local legislature and going to the Feds for money. The Federal government has let Rio foot the bill for the majority of the Games despite the impact it will have on Brasil as a whole. All the locals are doing is bypassing the City and State and going straight to the Feds. Which the "State" didn't want because of other bureaucracy amongst themselves.

As far as waste and garbage floating in the bay......I swear Coal Harbour/Stanley Park(In Vancouver, one of the "cleanest" places on Earth) was more polluted than Rio when I was there. But that's just my observations.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
They can't even come up with water that is safe to swim in, much less to drink.

I think I'm gonna stick with my
narrow minded opinion of it being a 5hithole.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Kind of ironic that they are hosting the summer Olympics in their winter season?:face-icon-small-con

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
It's ironic that the purpose of hosting the Olympics is to show the beauty of your city with the whole world.

In this case the whole world now sees that Brazil is a dirty s#ithole that has nothing to offer.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
What purpose does the Olympics even serve any more?
By now I think we've proven that no other country can hang with us.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I don't know but I've listened to quite a few podcasts in the past week with returning Olympians and the one that struck me the most was Connor Field's interview where he mentioned that they went swimming in the bay, on their own accord and thought it was beautiful. No garbage, no filth. Just a nice couple of days swimming in the same bay that other Olympic events happened. You know, the one where the canoer supposidly hit a floating couch.....I truly believe most of the horror stories are made up to grab headlines by the media. Ryan Lochte anyone?

I've literally swam in those waters as recently as 3 years ago. The media is at it's fearmongering height right now. God help us all.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Probably overhyped both ways.
Probably isn't as bad as the media is portraying
Probably isn't the pristine garden of eden that you are painting as well.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I'm not painting a garden of Eden. I'm speaking from experience. Can't get much more real than that. And now with the athletes coming back and telling their stories....pretty hard to ignore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features