• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kebler Pass, WTF OVER?

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
We drove over Kebler Pass last week, and we were was appalled by what we saw.

We saw abandoned sleds in the creek, in the bushes, over by the forest — everywhere. The place looked like a mountain version of a (snowmobile) dump.

What gives? Is there a club in Crested Butte that can clean this mess up? It really gives all of the tourists a bad image of sledders.

I live a ways away from Kebler pass but if someone more local can organize a clean up, count me in. I'll bring my F350 and a trailer and am good for removing at least 3-4 sleds and taking them to the dump.

Why is Kebler Pass so trashed by discarded snowmobiles?

BTW, there was an equal mix of Yamaha and Polaris (older RMKs) sleds in case someone is looking for parts. Not sure why I didn't see any abandoned SkiDoo sleds.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed to see one up there last July that would have been easy to get.

With the college and fairly big town, you've got a bunch of stoner kids buying junk sleds and giving her a try.

As for getting them out, guessing they need to be gotten during season before they get buried.

Was up there pretty late April and nothing poking out then. So guessing the sleds aren't poking out again until after the trailhead and road have melted out?

Maybe they could be gotten with a tracked SXS?

That little creek in the big meadow swallows up lots of sleds that really shouldn't be off trail, especially early season. They see the big boy tracks, and think their crapped out sled can there too.

Posted a thread about it last summer, but don't think I specified Kebler? Just about getting the sleds out of the hills. Will bump it, if I find it here.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
The dozen or so sleds I saw are just to the side of the road and are easily visible to the thousands of tourist who drive over the pass.

Some sleds have stickers from 4+ years ago and I assume they have been sitting there for years.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
If they're close to the trail, that would most likely be a sled skier that ditched it. If you're talking about a bunch of sleds all together at the trailhead, those are supposed to be from the people that live up in Irwin. They park near the restroom, and then ride sleds to their homes in the winter.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Because, There is no such thing.

fire_sled_2_sm.jpg

So true

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
is it legal to go pick one, or several of these sleds up? buddy of mine needs some older RMK parts and doesn't have alot of money so im trying to help. I will be in Denver this summer somtime and would like to pick one up for him.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Grab them if they are left. Legally you are supposed to try and contact the last two registered owners (VIN/registration info).

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Some of them are owned-- From Capulin Overdrive's post above:
If they're close to the trail, that would most likely be a sled skier that ditched it. If you're talking about a bunch of sleds all together at the trailhead, those are supposed to be from the people that live up in Irwin. They park near the restroom, and then ride sleds to their homes in the winter.

Premium Features