• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'16 that much better?

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
so with the 2016 axys coming out, and all the great reviews, is it going to be better than a 13-14 pro with shocks, track, can? ive got carls float evols, 36" front. im looking at getting a can and maybe a x3 or 2.6 PC track with 7 tooths. is the axys gonna be a upgrade?

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
One ride in crappy snow does not make for a chance to make a good review. Sounded like each person got to ride for about a half hour maybe a little more. Hopefully it will snow sometime in this year without a winter and Poo gets some demo sleds out in the hands of the masses. Hard to be real objective when the manufacturer is giving a select few a exclusive first ride. Would be kind of hard to say "this was ok but this part really missed the mark."

Don't think it will be a game changer like when the Pro first came out, more of a refinement of what they already had. Higher center of gravity may not be for everyone. Mtr's will have a tough time with it. I've been really wondering what sled would proceed the Pro, hopefully one of my buds will get one so I can through a leg over it and give it a spin. Love to hear the quotes of how much stronger the engine feels, like 10hp really makes a huge difference in a 150hp sled. Reminds me of the current engine that mysteriously felt way better with each new year;)

Love that they kept the boards, coil over suspension and cast bulkhead. LED lights are cool, just hope they don't blind you when one is coming at you like the annoying a$$ ones rice burners run. Also like the fact it is a stiffer chassis, the 13 boards were a huge improvement for the Pro, a even stiffer chassis can only mean a more responsive sled. A sub 400lb sled with just the change of a can is unbelievable!!!

Looks like a drop and roll, spindles, maybe a-arms and skid linkages and a current pro would be pretty close to the same setup suspension wise. Wonder if the new a-arms are the same geometry and they just made the spindles taller. Looks like the pro ones would bolt right to the Axys bulkhead. Didn't really see any major changes in the skid, probably just a little longer arms for the new height or did they just make longer drop brackets? The new track could be interesting, really like the current one, not too sure about the square lugs without fingered tips. A factory tether would have been nice, no sled should be sold without one.

Looks to be one wicked sled, very nice indeed! Really hope Doo and Cat step up. Would sure be nice to have all 3 on an even playing field, a win for everyone. I'd love to see doo incorporate some of the plastic Spark technology into the industry. Costs are shrinking our already troubled sport smaller and smaller every year and this technology could cut a sled cost up to 50%. As for cat, they need to take a couple of steps forward instead of backwards as they did with the proclimb. If they thought teaming with Yami was gonna make them a winner with four stroke technology, well lets just say that trend has come and gone.

Poo has shown with the Pro and now the Axys that they have been listening to what mountain sledders are looking for, a lightweight and responsive sled. Each Refinement of the chassis they have headed in this direction. Looks like Poo has raised the bar once again...

Last edited:

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I still think 13-15 pros still rip it's hard to believe that they could make the sled any better. As of right now I'll be keeping my 15' for another year let them work out the kinks and buy a 17'. Who knows thiugh if I get a chance to ride the new axys it could change my mind.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
10 more hp and 9 lbs lighter. Im sure it will add to the fun.

yep, and a bigger track. The basic recipe for improving a mountain sled.

The well set up Pros will still be there with the Axys on the snow however. The rider and the snow will be the difference.

Kudos to Polaris for the advancements.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
One ride in crappy snow does not make for a chance to make a good review. Sounded like each person got to ride for about a half hour maybe a little more. Hopefully it will snow sometime in this year without a winter and Poo gets some demo sleds out in the hands of the masses. Hard to be real objective when the manufacturer is giving a select few a exclusive first ride. Would be kind of hard to say "this was ok but this part really missed the mark."

Don't think it will be a game changer like when the Pro first came out, more of a refinement of what they already had. Higher center of gravity may not be for everyone. Mtr's will have a tough time with it. I've been really wondering what sled would proceed the Pro, hopefully one of my buds will get one so I can through a leg over it and give it a spin. Love to hear the quotes of how much stronger the engine feels, like 10hp really makes a huge difference in a 150hp sled. Reminds me of the current engine that mysteriously felt way better with each new year;)

Love that they kept the boards, coil over suspension and cast bulkhead. LED lights are cool, just hope they don't blind you when one is coming at you like the annoying a$$ ones rice burners run. Also like the fact it is a stiffer chassis, the 13 boards were a huge improvement for the Pro, a even stiffer chassis can only mean a more responsive sled. A sub 400lb sled with just the change of a can is unbelievable!!!

Looks like a drop and roll, spindles, maybe a-arms and skid linkages and a current pro would be pretty close to the same setup suspension wise. Wonder if the new a-arms are the same geometry and they just made the spindles taller. Looks like the pro ones would bolt right to the Axys bulkhead. Didn't really see any major changes in the skid, probably just a little longer arms for the new height or did they just make longer drop brackets? The new track could be interesting, really like the current one, not too sure about the square lugs without fingered tips. A factory tether would have been nice, no sled should be sold without one.

Looks to be one wicked sled, very nice indeed! Really hope Doo and Cat step up. Would sure be nice to have all 3 on an even playing field, a win for everyone. I'd love to see doo incorporate some of the plastic Spark technology into the industry. Costs are shrinking our already troubled sport smaller and smaller every year and this technology could cut a sled cost up to 50%. As for cat, they need to take a couple of steps forward instead of backwards as they did with the proclimb. If they thought teaming with Yami was gonna make them a winner with four stroke technology, well lets just say that trend has come and gone.

Poo has shown with the Pro and now the Axys that they have been listening to what mountain sledders are looking for, a lightweight and responsive sled. Each Refinement of the chassis they have headed in this direction. Looks like Poo has raised the bar once again...

I have seat time on an axys switchback. The motor does feel a lot stronger. In its stock form it feels just as good if not better than my stage 3. I'm curious to see what potential it has left on the hands of the aftermarket

SLP claims 10 horse with the new pipe they just released for the axys chassis. Time will tell

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I have a 14 pro. And I'll keep it and make sure the motor is good,if you had a Polaris 900, you know what I'm talking about.

C
Dec 24, 2014
The PRO started the revolution, the Axsys is a PRO EVO. As mentioned, more power, better track, less weight are all winners. I wont be a first year buyer, seems those always have issues no matter who built it.

I sure do love good handling 400 lb mountain sleds though, major kudos to Polaris for giving the people what they want!

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
As MH has been saying, the one model we have seen is just the beginning. Might change my mind when I see the rest but the old Pro is still a great sled. It'll be a great sled 10 yrs from now if I need to keep it.

Maybe I'm getting old, maybe I got bit too hard on a past purchase but I'm very comfortable on the ol' Pro. It's not stock, it's dialed for me.
Biggest thing is I still get the grin I got the first year so maybe the honeymoon isn't over yet.

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
I only have 110 miles on my 15 RMK 163 due to crappy snow. I'll be keeping my 15 for a few years. Might just sell the wife,s 09 700 RMK and use my golden ticket in 2017.I'll wait till some bugs are worked out.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I was one of those that got to ride the '16. I spent about 3 hours in a variety of terrain and snow, hardly stopped or shut the sled off. Some of the north facing slopes still had decent snow. I thought the variety of conditions to be found was a good test for the time we had.
I walked away impressed with the sled, and being a Doo rider the last few years I was never very impressed with the Pro and we have had a '11,'12'13 and a 14 Pro. If I had to buy a sled next year it would be a tough decision between the T3 and Axys, but a Pro would not have even been on my radar. Not bashing the Pro, it is a very capable chassis that I just never got completely comfortable on. After 3 hours on the Axys I was more comfortable and confident than I ever felt on the Pro. JMO-

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Nearly 3 hours.
A couple of miles of smooth, and maybe rutted packed powder and ice roads. Kinda groomed.
Then groomed trail for a couple miles...
Then fully off trail for more than two hours. Some crust, wind powder and old powder if you can find it. I did get snow over my winshield in the trees and wind-deposited shaded hill-sides...
It truly was a variety, but it wasn't a deep powder day by any means.

Too bad I couldn't have taken it where I stayed and rode on Saturday and Sunday. :)

Premium Features