• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Psi 800 vs hauck 760

Well last season I rode for about a half day with the oil cable disconnected at the throtle on my 97 mm 700. Needless to say the sled locked up. We got it freed up and it started and ran good to the trailer. I'm hoping the crank is ok. I'm thinking I want to big bore it instead of just rebuil it. From what I can find the infamous 944 union bay is not possible to get anymore. The 2 800s I recal eveybody running (slp and bender) also seem to be a thing of the past. The only kits I see that are still in production are the price 950, hauck 760 and psi 800. I havnt considered the price 950 as an option due to all the things I've heard about the company. Is this engine any good or am I right to steer away from it.
The psi 800 is only about 300 more than the hauck 760. I'm wondering which is more reliable and has the better company support? I'm wanting this sled to have tons of power but be as close to stock reliability as possible.
Any input is greatly appreciated. I'd also like to know if any other companies still make big bores for the red head?
Thanks,
Spencer

4strokeperformance

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
MM 700 BB

I have had several PSI big bores over the years and had good luck with them. I think they have been out of business for years tho. I had a couple Hauck SRX big bore's and they were awesome running sled's with zero problems. The cool part about dealing with Hauck is a lot of times when you call you can actually talk to Pat. He knows a lot about Yamaha's. Good luck

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
Price 950 is prone to base gasket failures. The Fastrax/UBR 944 is basicly the same thing only monoblock which adressed the base gasket issues. It is a shame U cant buy those anymore.
Either the Hauck 760 or a wiesco 750 kit are your only option at this point.
Slp will support what they already have out there but wont sell a new kit so if you find a used slp kit you could get it refreshed.
Not sure if Bender still supports their 800 kits anymore.

Price 950 is prone to base gasket failures. The Fastrax/UBR 944 is basicly the same thing only monoblock which adressed the base gasket issues. It is a shame U cant buy those anymore.
Either the Hauck 760 or a wiesco 750 kit are your only option at this point.
Slp will support what they already have out there but wont sell a new kit so if you find a used slp kit you could get it refreshed.
Not sure if Bender still supports their 800 kits anymore.

You seem to know a lot about these sleds and engines. In your opinion it's it worth it to big bore to a 760 vs good porting and proper clutching with pipes?

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
I believe Hartman still has their 750 kit. It talked to Tom about it last year. Their web site still shows it.

RIDECATS

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2002
MN
Pm me about 780 kit from Simons CPR. Loved it and gave most of the parts willing to sell cheap!!

Premium Features