• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Big Horn snow thread for those not in the click

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
Had an excellent first test and tune ride Friday. Found lots of untouched snow SW of the lodges on higher ridges. The snow overall seemed better than usual for this time of year. We did stay away from a few areas we wanted to go to but starting to set up for a good base. The sleds ran flawless and that's what we came to do! The service at Elk View was excellent considering the amount of people on the mountain. Those people worked their asses off to keep things going. I can see why trailer parking in that lot can be a bitch because it was! Saturday was a bust so we split early but it was worth the drive out!

DSC_0004.jpg DSC_0007.jpg DSC_0019.jpg DSC_0022.jpg DSC_0033.jpg DSC_0036.jpg DSC_0043.jpg

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
Not sure if it was a fluke or what, but the mgr was there doing something from fixing the pop machine to helping in the dinning room with overflow to shoveling the decks and what ever. The staff were all on their toes and friendly. Base on that I'll stay there again. Now then, I have buddies that will never stay there so not sure if I just got lucky or they changed their management style. I still do not understand the parking thing if they are not busy though. A customer is still a customer no matter what.

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
The snow, wind and flat light was not conducive to the riding we wanted to do Saturday and we were leaving at 3:00 anyway so we got a head start. We didn't feel like playing in the trees.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Lots of new snow. Road up 14a. Wasn't grommet and had over a ft of fresh snow on the trail. I personally Didn't feel a rock all day. Buy one guy did bend a a arm. Mid hood high powder about everywhere once you get west of bear lodge. Pretty tracked up after today. If you could come up from the Lovell side I think that would be the best.

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
Hey Matt some friends and I are going up the Lovell side Saturday. Let us know how the road up is would ya. It was a little $hitty last Friday, blown in in many places. Hopefully they've had the plows up and dug it out since then. Leave us some powder to please!!

R

rmkMatt

Sep 14, 2010
Wyoming
Will do. I don't think it gets plowed at all does it? I just don't want to try and turn around with my trailer on the switchbacks, hoping it's good to the top or bad enough down low to know to stop driving.

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
I know what you mean, headed up Saturday with a 4 place enclosed, hope we don't have to park part way up and end up having to back off the mountain at the end of the day.

They used to keep it plowed off pretty regularly up to the reststop. But when we were up there last Friday it was obvious they hadn't been up there in several days. Blown in in many places, 4 wheel drive most the way up, and spinning all four in places pulling the 4 place enclosed.

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
Thanks for the info Matt! I would say where's the snow report but I read your review in the other thread. Hopefully they get dumped on up top tonight, maybe just not on the highway up!! Lol!!

R

rmkMatt

Sep 14, 2010
Wyoming
Some fresh snow would be good I think, the base is setting up good for a good year as long as it keeps getting little storms consistently. Forgot to mention my nephew did pretty good today. Once we got him to quit stopping going uphill he stayed out of trouble more than we did.

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
Went to the Lovell side yesterday, everything in the open getting crusty and tracked up. But still can find deep soft snow in the trees. We found snow in the trees that when you got off your sled you sank to your belly. Snowed all day while we were up there, there was a good 3-4 inches on the truck when we left the parking lot last night.

Bighorns1 1-4-14.jpg Bighorns2 1-4-14.jpg Bighorns4 1-4-14.jpg Bighorns5 1-4-14.jpg

Premium Features